PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JR1296

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2019
Mississippi
Wasn't all that keen on HB. My favorite C&D burley blend with perique is Odessa which is pretty smooth for a burley blend. You have to like latakia though as it's essentially an "American" Balkan.
I love Odessa fresh from the bag. My last order from smokingpipes.com I got Haunted Bookshop, Pegasus, Odessa, and a few others. I felt like HB and Pegasus both had some rough edges and needed to be put in the cellar.

Reactions: docpierce and Bowie

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Yea Burley ages, but it greatly varies on what the other components add to the aging. I aged some Old Joe Krantz for a few years and the perique mellowed out. Chocolate Covered Cherries. I haven’t aged HB because I smoke it fast. I also prefer the bulk over the Tin. In my experience the perique is amped up in the bulk.

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
Reactions: diamondback
I smoked this today after a gap of a few days from any burley. Just on its own, I enjoyed it. However I do need to smoke it in tandem with OJK.

The tin note is getting worse. First it was like butter. Then it became like blue cheese. Now it is like a very ripe stinky blue cheese - and it is in my cellar only for a month

Reactions: Bowie

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
WOWEE. Just had my very first bowl of Haunted Bookshop--quite impressed.

It was really good timing in that I recently bought a pouch of Prince Albert, which was my first burley in a long while--then I got really into straight VA flakes and VaPers. So to have them all come together in Haunted Bookshop was marvelous. I was able to pick out each component and appreciate the balance of the blend.

The proportions of Virginia and Burley really compliment each other well. Neither stand out too much, yet both make themselves known. Then the amount of perique is right on the money for my tastes, especially when retrohaling.

I smoked it straight from a fresh tin, no drying. I had a frustrating day so I didn't take it very easy with my cadence, yet got no bite whatsoever.

4 of 5 stars for me. Probably going to order 8oz for my desk/office.

Bowie

Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
WOWEE. Just had my very first bowl of Haunted Bookshop--quite impressed.

It was really good timing in that I recently bought a pouch of Prince Albert, which was my first burley in a long while--then I got really into straight VA flakes and VaPers. So to have them all come together in Haunted Bookshop was marvelous. I was able to pick out each component and appreciate the balance of the blend.

The proportions of Virginia and Burley really compliment each other well. Neither stand out too much, yet both make themselves known. Then the amount of perique is right on the money for my tastes, especially when retrohaling.

I smoked it straight from a fresh tin, no drying. I had a frustrating day so I didn't take it very easy with my cadence, yet got no bite whatsoever.

4 of 5 stars for me. Probably going to order 8oz for my desk/office.
Cool man! Glad you like it.

Reactions: diamondback

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
Update to my post from 2 days ago.

I originally noted neither the burley nor the VA stand out too much, but the burley does actually take center stage. I still find this blend to have an enjoyable mixture/ratio, but you must like burley if you're to like Haunted Bookshop.

The tin note is a bit musty, just like an old paperback, but I like it. I don't get the stinky feet or vomit aromas that some reviewers claim to smell.

This stuff certainly stays lit and behaves well, and it's ready to smoke right from the tin--quite convenient.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
The first time I smoked HB, I had much the same impression. I think I described it as "Old, sweaty gym socks. On fire."

But now it's far and away my favorite blend. I've probably smoked more of HB than anything else. Rather than acrid and awful, it now tastes nutty, earthy, a little spicy and a touch sweet. Tastes develop and change, so you may like it yet.

Jan 5, 2020
I have an 8 oz tin of this in my cellar from 2014. Probably going to sit on it for a while longer until I get through all of the other open tins I have.

Jan 27, 2020
Am I the only one who doesn’t like this? Not sure if I just had bad luck with the bulk C&Ds I’ve ordered but both this answers Bayou Morning were just dry and nasty.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Am I the only one who doesn’t like this? Not sure if I just had bad luck with the bulk C&Ds I’ve ordered but both this answers Bayou Morning were just dry and nasty.
My order came dry as well, but not to any noticeable negative effect. I just jarred it up and I enjoy it. I’ve never had it from a tin, though, so I’m only speaking about the bulk.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
Thanks for your perspective! I love Haunted Bookshop, but it definitely took me about a tin to get there. It’s definitely musty, like the basement of a VFW or American Legion in 1986. ? But, after a while you get some sweetness, a bit of spice, definitely an acrid/decayed crushed peanut shell flavor with a touch of cocoa.

To compare the experience...when I was drinking I didn’t favor scotch at first. But, after some time appreciating it...I grew to love and savor the flavor.☕

dcicero

Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
I've been gravitating to burley blends lately, and I got some HB today from SPC after reading lots of good comments about it here and on TobaccoReviews.

Overall, a good smoke that I hope will grow on me. Question: Do burleys like this change much over time while cellaring?

The tin note is odd. Musty, but not in an old-book-musty way (which to me is a wonderful smell). More like a back room that had been closed up awhile.

I loaded up a MM Legend. The first few minutes of this smoke were not a a pleasant experience. I took care to not light it too hot. But I almost put this down. It was acrid and bitter. No tongue bite, but just a terrible taste. I have no idea what happened. Maybe user error.

I slowly smoked through the experience like a stubborn old goat, and was surprised that it soon settled down. I got the nuttiness I expected and some small hints of spice, with an occasional sweetness. I didn't get the chocolate that others have found. Maybe next time.

I was expecting a noticeable nicotine hit based on TR ratings, but it was far less than C&D's Dreams of Kadath, which has a slightly lower nictonice strength on TR but hit me harder. "Your Mileage May Vary," indeed. HB was a bit harsher on my throat than other burleys, though.

It turned out to be a satisfying smoke overall, 3 out of 5 stars if you take out the initial few minutes. I'm not ready to order more or add this to my SPC "Favorites" list. I'll have to come back to this to reevaluate. I'll try it in a briar, too. As the article on SPC states: "Try Everything Twice."
I've found this to be true even with blends I liked at first, then the second time I realized I didnt like it all that much. I have a few sitting unsmoked because of this.

Jan 27, 2020
Most any scotch goes down nice to me and while some wines become better with age they’re generally drinkable out of the gate. I can’t imagine spending a bit of money on a tobacco which I found the first couple bowls to be unbearable.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
It was love at first puff for me. The musty, earthy flavors matched with the spicy perique on the retro hale is a winner in my book. I prefer this blend on a cool day or night,something about the cool temps make this so much better

Jan 27, 2020
My experience with HB is similar in that I find it's a bit harsh and rough at the start of the bowl but calms down as the bowl progresses with the flavors rounding out and the edges softening. The last two thirds of the bowl are most rewarding especially with a slow cadence.

Where in a Brooklyn are you Brooklynpipeclub? I never see any pipes on the streets of the borough...

Status
Not open for further replies.