PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Effortlessdepths

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
So I finally bought a tin of said tobacco, and of course it is the 2020 September harvest with 8% sugar content. My wife and I both packed bowls in good flake pipes and lit up, and we're a little surprised by it's blandness after all the hype. Now, just to preface, we were expecting this to an extent, because I'm assuming that it needs to age and breathe. My question is how long before it actually develops and starts to taste as good as people say it does?

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
I thought the same when I first popped a tin. I got a bit of cranberry juice in there, but not enough to my liking yet. So it's in a jar for at least 6 months, and we'll see what's up then.

Though I suspect it will take longer for a real difference to be made.

stokesdale

Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
I buy 15 tins a year and I never let any age. You can certainly tell the increased nicotine/lower sugar content of the new batch relative to the old. But I think what I like about CRF in general is that it is the best pure red out there (uncased and untopped). My favorites are all reds (except JK Plug), so I am pretty particular about the reds and how they are processed. I think true red lovers like myself appreciate the wholeness of this leaf (whatever that means)...this batch may not be the tastiest batch, but it's still a very good, high quality red for sure. If you want a deeper flavor, try C&D Interlude (slightly cased but untopped) or Sutliffs Krumble Kake Red..lower quality leafs for sure, but probably more of the flavor you are looking for.

Effortlessdepths

Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
I am a Burley guy myself, but I want to be just as much a Virginia guy too, and I bought the CRF partially for that purpose: palate expansion. I knew it was uncased and untopped and that's why I got it. So I'll rub it out and let it dry and keep experimenting with it, because I know it's good, my palate and understanding is just lacking. I will buy a few more to age too.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
I will echo what others have said about prep and drying, and add that I think 2-3 weeks in a jar helps this particular blend to taste its best when fresh. Now, as others have mentioned, it will be much better aged (the 2018 I have is great!) but if you want to get the most out of it fresh, I think letting it breathe in a jar for a couple of weeks, and then rubbing out/drying should help.

stokesdale

Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
I am a Burley guy myself, but I want to be just as much a Virginia guy too, and I bought the CRF partially for that purpose: palate expansion. I knew it was uncased and untopped and that's why I got it. So I'll rub it out and let it dry and keep experimenting with it, because I know it's good, my palate and understanding is just lacking. I will buy a few more to age too.

I think that being a "Virginia" guy is slightly different than being a "red Virginia" guy. What I mean by that is uncased, untopped, red Virginias, unless processed like Sutliff's, is a lot like acquiring a taste for Scotch. The vast majority of scotch drinkers probably didn't think much of the drink the first few times, but it tends to grow on you. That said, if you have any bright Virginia (say, C&D Virginia Flake), which is a lot sweeter, you may want to try blending a little of that with the CRF--that might help get you over this hump. (By the way, I like a good strong burley too; I smoke Burley Flake #2 quite often, although nowhere near as much as the reds.)

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'll admit I've been spoiled by McClelland when it comes to matured Red Virginia. That level of tang and funkiness hasn't been reached by anyone else, and will not likely be seen again. McClelland's methodology between selection and processing is gone for good. I'm damned happy I stocked up.
CRF doesn't come close, but it's a pretty good effort and fine in its own right. Byronic Slices also has a whisper of that full throated McClelland profile. But I don't always need all that funk, so Simply Red does a good job when I want to have some red without hitting my McClelland or McCranie's stash.

tomatamot

May 26, 2020
EU
I will echo what others have said about prep and drying, and add that I think 2-3 weeks in a jar helps this particular blend to taste its best when fresh. Now, as others have mentioned, it will be much better aged (the 2018 I have is great!) but if you want to get the most out of it fresh, I think letting it breathe in a jar for a couple of weeks, and then rubbing out/drying should help.
Thank you very much! :col:

Reactions: Effortlessdepths

Effortlessdepths

Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
I think that being a "Virginia" guy is slightly different than being a "red Virginia" guy. What I mean by that is uncased, untopped, red Virginias, unless processed like Sutliff's, is a lot like acquiring a taste for Scotch. The vast majority of scotch drinkers probably didn't think much of the drink the first few times, but it tends to grow on you. That said, if you have any bright Virginia (say, C&D Virginia Flake), which is a lot sweeter, you may want to try blending a little of that with the CRF--that might help get you over this hump. (By the way, I like a good strong burley too; I smoke Burley Flake #2 quite often, although nowhere near as much as the reds.)
When I say Virginia I definitely mean pure uncased untopped VA, red or otherwise. I love the semois and D&R tobaccos that are completely understand, and I take that back with a lot of things in my life. I also love scotch, and ironically enough my favorite middle shelf scotch is McClelland's Highland Single Malt lol go figure.

So I am unafraid. I don't need a lot of sweetness, and while I do smoke other more cased and topped tobacco's, I just want to smoke the real stuff and learn to appreciate it. One can approach acquired tastes purposefully!

On a side note, I can't get enough of C&D Burley flakes, #1 being my favorite. Love me some two timer as well.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I bought a tin of the C&D Carolina Red Flake in 2019. A friend I popped it when it arrived and the aroma was amazing. Smoking it was an entirely different problem and we didn't enjoy it. I revisiting it several times after that initial smoke and it got a little better, but it ended up turning me off of red Virginia... Until I finally bit the bullet earlier this year and got some Watch City Simply Red and Rhythm & Blues to try. Those blends were great and now I no longer associate red Virginia with unpleasantness. I tried it again when this year's batch was released and it was tolerable, but still not my thing. It's on my list to revisit again at some point.

Jun 23, 2019
So I finally bought a tin of said tobacco, and of course it is the 2020 September harvest with 8% sugar content. My wife and I both packed bowls in good flake pipes and lit up, and we're a little surprised by it's blandness after all the hype. Now, just to preface, we were expecting this to an extent, because I'm assuming that it needs to age and breathe. My question is how long before it actually develops and starts to taste as good as people say it does?

I recently revisited a tin of this year's CRF I opened a few weeks ago and it's already tasting much better. But I agree with your assessment, this rendition of he flake is definitely skippable.

Status
Not open for further replies.