C&D Carolina Red Flake Grade, What Does it Mean?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

swan

Lurker
Dec 9, 2018
NYC
Hello!

I really like the Red Flake from C&D, I think it is a great tobacco with great aging potential.
I was curios about the information on the label, does anyone know what those codes mean?

I am talking about:
"Grade: D1A, D1F, D1H"

I haven't been able to find any information whatsoever, not even in the standard tobacco grading... Can anybody help?

thank you!

EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title - Bob

Last edited by a moderator:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think C&D might share that information. I think but don't know that red denotes leaves picked high on the plant, and Carolina tobacco is mostly Virginia varietals grown in the Carolinas, though I think N.C. grows some burley too. All this is to say, I'll watch this thread to get better educated. Some of the Carolina leaf is rated as very mild; is that your experience of it?

Jun 9, 2018
England
Hello!

I really like the Red Flake from C&D, I think it is a great tobacco with great aging potential.
I was curios about the information on the label, does anyone know what those codes mean?

I am talking about:
"Grade: D1A, D1F, D1H"

I haven't been able to find any information whatsoever, not even in the standard tobacco grading... Can anybody help?

thank you!
Here's a link to a YouTube video of Cornell & Diehl's head blender talking about Carolina Red Flake and the special crop of red Virginia that went into it. IIrc I don't think he explained what the letters and numbers meant but it's worth a look if the blend interests you.

Chris.

Reactions: danimalia and GCW

swan

Lurker
Dec 9, 2018
NYC
apparently the tobacco is graded by letters and numbers from where it comes on the plant and how it's cured:
Tobacco, Grades of | Agricultural Marketing Service - https://www.ams.usda.gov/grades-and-standards/tobacco

Thank you. I had checked this link but still, I cannot find anything similar to the grades specified by C&D, there is no "D" grade.

Also, on the youtube video the explanation was not very clear to me, seemed more of a sort of "internal" grading system.

I will ask C&D at this point...

swan

Lurker
Dec 9, 2018
NYC

Yup I searched the entire website but I was not able to find any D grade.
It is a Gov website so all the info should be there, nothing should be missing. Still, D1A and the others are missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.