PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
I am working my way through some samples generously donated by forum members, and Burley Flake No. 1 has been particularly enjoyable. In the past I have been less interested in Burley leaf, but a few recent acquisitions have deepened my appreciation for this leaf.
Tin Note / Preparation

Most of the Burley I’ve had in the past has been ribbon or shag cut. This flake has a bit more depth to it than those even in the bag. I rubbed out the flake.
Smoke:

This flake smokes quite well—easy to light and easy to keep lit. As of late I haven’t been looking at the ingredients of my blends before trying them, as I enjoy trying to detecting the flavors themselves instead of looking for the various leaf. That helps eliminate the power of suggestion.
Obviously I knew the blend was Burley, and that is certainly the predominant flavor. The perique is minor—it more gives a sort of smoky/spicy note to the smoke instead of being overtly present. The Virginia sweetness rarely comes through, but I was surprised by a single puff last night in which this sweet note came through. It was a bit of a fermented sweetness, so I assumed this was merely a bit of age on the flake, but after reading the ingredients, I think this is more of the faint Va/Per note coming through.
The mouth sensation of this tobacco immediately signals that it is potent and robust. One thing I really enjoy about this is that unlike many of the drier, ribbon/shag Burleys I’ve had, this flake makes for a long, relaxed smoke.
Nicotine level:

Massive and concrete. This may be the strongest blend I’ve ever smoked. My go-to smokes are Gawith ropes, shags, flakes (Dark Flake, 1792, etc.) and I’ve recently been smoking through Mapacho and other N. rustica blends. I would say Burley Flake No. 1 is as strong or stronger than any of these.
In Summary:

In summary, this was a highly enjoyable Burley blend. The splash of Red Virginia and Perique produce a cohesive, smooth smoke with a bit more bass note than previous Burleys I’ve smoked. This one goes to the top of my list, and I can certainly see why Cornel & Diehl is often touted as the master of Burley blends. Thank you, cobguy!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Glad you enjoyed it ... BF #1 is a bit like the flake form of Old Joe Krantz, to me.
These are the types of blends I like with coffee in the morning ... Big N' Burley, mentioned by 1coyote, is another favorite.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I love this blend, and mix it with Royal Yacht or Hal O' The Wynd for a powerful, caramel-ish smoke.

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
Glad you enjoyed it ... BF #1 is a bit like the flake form of Old Joe Krantz, to me.

I can definitely see that, as I've been smoking through the OJK as well. For me OJK doesn't quite have the nic hit of BF#1, though it's up there.
I love this blend, and mix it with Royal Yacht or Hal O' The Wynd for a powerful, caramel-ish smoke.

Interesting. Will have to try that.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a tin of B#1 that's been on my pipe cabinet for a year or two. I'm glad for these cautions, for when I finally pop that lid. I think it's wise to go tentatively with "big" blends. I have gone in head first, but that's a sport. Mostly, I think pipe smoking should be done for pleasure and relaxation. However, since I do usually enjoy full-strength blends, this one ought to have some appeal for me. I'll take its measure in a small bowl and see what it's like, when the time comes. Cosmic, I think you'll like OJK. It's a well-crafted blend, not just a nic buster.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
Funny thing, I love OJK, but did not fancy this flake at all. I found it rough around the edges and harsh. I popped the top back on and threw it back in the cellar. Might be worth another try after it's had a bit of time to calm down.

On Burley Flake#1, Think "sour" while smoking it, and the harshness folds into the realm of understandable, if that makes sense. Sometimes our brains tell us stuff that has no category is "harsh." But, this one has a bit of sour to it, which I like, but the sour can easily fall into the harsh category from our brain if you focus on those bolder flavors more.

YMMV

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I didn't find it to be much like OJK, either. To me, the dark burley was the overwhelming flavor component -- very dark, earthy and a little oily. I like it well enough, but to me OJK is really refined and complex in comparison. OJK seems to have more VAs, too.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Think "sour" while smoking it, and the harshness folds into the realm of understandable
That's a good analogy. Red Va's, which BF #1 has plenty of, can have a tangy/sourness that not everyone likes. Also, the Perique content is up there which can lend a cigarette-ish tone when pushed hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.