PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
As a usual English / Scottish style guy, I've been looking into burley blends as of late and at the recommendation of friends here, picked up a bit of C&D Big-n-Burley to try. In a word - Amazing! Very stout, full flavored smoke that shot into my regular rotation.
After some 15 plus years of enjoying pipes, I'm quite pleased to have finally come around to trying Burleys.
I plan to look into their other Burley blends and would like to know what others have to say about C&D's Burley Flakes #1 thru 5.
Anyone tried them all and care to offer recommendations?

chefmike

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2021
Colorado Springs, CO
I liked Burley flake #3 a TON on the front end of my burley exploration. I like dark fired in a blend. I found 3 very smooth and approachable. However I am not a Bigg N Burley fan… too… cigary? I may push it too much with my style. I still return to it occasionally. I like LJ perretis burleys alot… 333, 111. I would say if you like big and b, haunted bookshop, old joe kranz and pegasus should be up your alley.

Skippy B. Coyote

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
I'll toss in another recommendation for Pegasus! It's got a good strong full-bodied burley aroma and flavor, but is surprisingly smooth thanks to the addition of unsweetened black canvendish. A lot of Cornell & Diehl's burley blends can be rather rough around the edges and get a little harsh at times, but Pegasus is smooth as silk.

makhorkasmoker

Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
My fave is c&d dark burley. It’s a base or condiment in many of the blends mentioned above. Smoking it straight requires some patience and attention to subtleties, as there is no perique or dark fired or anything else to jump out at you. But for me it is well worth the effort.

Indygrap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2022
New Orleans, LA
I’m like you, OP, & branching out in to burley. Burley #1 is good & Pegasus is a home run. I’m not a fan of Haunted Bookshop. Maybe I just haven’t adjusted my palette enough or something, but it doesn’t have a lot of flavor or complexity to me. YMMV

RonB

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2021
Southeast Pennsylvania
I’m like you, OP, & branching out in to burley. Burley #1 is good & Pegasus is a home run. I’m not a fan of Haunted Bookshop. Maybe I just haven’t adjusted my palette enough or something, but it doesn’t have a lot of flavor or complexity to me. YMMV
I agree about Haunted Bookshop but many love it. I’ve also come to really like Three Friars.

Reactions: Indygrap

BCF

Dec 23, 2022
Pennsylvania
Mentioned above, Morley's Best, with its latakia, might be one to try, since you're branching off from English blends.