PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Very welcome! Now I just need to get a leather tricorne to be a proper captain! :mrgreen:

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
Good Morning Captain Duane,

I followed your instructions implicitly (to quote Dwight Frye).

Last night I think that I made the mistake of using a pipe with a not too open draw. I was having trouble keeping it lit and the tight draw made things more difficult. But in spite of these issues, I knew that this was really good stuff. While reading afterwards the aftertaste was great and when I got under the covers last night the smell from my mustache was awesome.
Anyway, last night I prepped another smokes-worth and let it sit out overnight. This morning I smoked it in a bowl which has a very open draw and works well for blends like this. I had no trouble keeping it lit and it smoked down to the bottom and stayed smooth all the way.
But I think that smoking the dry crispy stuff definitely took something away from the experience from last night. I think that I need to smoke this stuff more moist like you recommended.
What do you think?

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
What do you think?
Absolutely. Thought you would enjoy it, but too much drying does take a bit of the flavor away.
Also like to throw in a little pirate kake to it from time to time. Superb.
I do this as well, as well as going 50/50 with Blockade Runner.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
I have very few blends left on my to try list . . . but . . .
you have convinced me that I now have to add this one to the list!

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Cap'n Ember Beard has shanghaied another! Arrrrr!

marin-simpson.gif

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Do not listen to Ember Beard, it's a vile blend that will scorch your mouth and ghost your pipes. You're much better off chasing those wonderful unicorn blends, save your money for those "orgasm in a tin" blends. I can't stand by and watch this deception any longer ! Hopefully this will ensure my supply :mrgreen:

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Surprised it has taken so long to catch on. Been smoking it for about six years here.

kaboom

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
I got a rather small sample of this from my local pipe club and have only smoked it once, and loved it.

I'll probably smoke another bowl tonight and i'll have enough left for a third.
It's a real shame I can't get this in Spain. We're finally getting some of the C&D range, but unfortunately no Black Frigate or Blockade runner. Pirate Kake has actually made it across the pond and i'll probably be trying it soon...

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
Yeah but in a fight between black frigate and old ironsides who would win?

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Ironsides has more latakia, but Frigate has the rum. Love them both, but I would have to sink with my Frigate. :puffy:

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
Fair enough cap'n!!

I'm not sure at the moment, its winter and they both go with stout. 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.