PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a jarred batch of Billy Budd close at hand. It is some of the best use of cigar leaf in a blend. I've enjoyed it for years. Now I have to have some right away. Good review, and thank you for reminding us of the literary reference of the name. I think it noses out another C&D favorite Old Joe Krantz, but it's a photo finish.

nukesimi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 25, 2016
Never had Billy Budd but I have had Key Largo and Robusto--Key Largo was nice. Andullo by Lane is currently in the basket. Unfortunately home blending cigar leaf didn't quite work out.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Within the review are some colorful metaphors...one in particular and out of context:

hotter than a goat's ass in a pepper patch
made me laff out loud.

I enjoy this blend as an occasional change up. It's definitely distinctive, smooth, rich, and flavorful.

One to smoke with the windows opened, Billy Budd is one of their best blends among many, and the maduro is certainly obvious, unusual, and complimentary.

kyleweiss

Lurker
Feb 12, 2016
Reno, NV
www.pipesmagazine.com
Thanks guys.
GLP Robusto and Key Largo are two definite favorites of mine, that share somewhat of a lineage of Billy Budd. Those two though are meant to be aged and sipped like a fine wine, whereas I enjoy the anything-goes abuse one can put Billy Budd through. When I'm working at my shop, I usually don't have time to sit, smoke and chat with the regulars, so I have to speed-load a portion of Billy Budd, usually in a cob, on the drive there. It'd be a shame to cook off all the finesse of Robusto while I'm paying more attention swerving through traffic and throwing middle fingers. No, Billy Budd is a much more apt co-pilot in such scenarios! :)
KW

swb118

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 20, 2016
"Does this particular Billy Bud contain much of Latakia in it?With cigar leaf I'm ok, but latakia is something I dont care too much about."
Yes it does contain latakia. I received 2oz of it Monday and ordered another 8 oz Thursday. It really punched a few buttons for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.