PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Belmont Station
A rich, complex journey of black Cavendish and bright Virginias, passing through regions of dark Burleys and dark fired Kentucky, elevated by vanilla and dark rum. All aboard.
Picked up a pound of this one during C&D's bulk sale, and the description got me. A bit damp out of the bag, but no stickiness, so I'm guessing more water than PG humectant. The tobacco presents itself in black and gold ribbons interspersed by varying shades of brown. The nose picks up rum for sure, and for some reason, a hint of cherry, but the vanilla is hard to find. Very reminiscent of Daughter's & Ryan's London Dock. Though the moisture is perfect from the bag, I prefer drier tobacco, so 20 minutes on a paper towel before loading.
Belmont Station likes a light packing and soft touch with a tamper, but takes fire easily, and burns cool and dry. Though an aromatic, the tobacco isn't totally masked by the Cavendish and other toppings. The vanilla presents itself more in the smoke than in the bag, and a rum sweetness lingers on the tongue. A bit of hay in the nose on the retrohale with a bit of spice in the background that I'm guessing is the Dark Fired Kentucky. A nice slow burn to the bottom of a pre '70s Savinelli 9004, as it's inaugural smoke since restoration, with two relights, and little dottle or moisture. Leaves a great room note, and could easily be an all day smoke. I give this 4 out of 5 stars for what it is, but raise it to 5 as a less expensive alternative to the above mentioned London Dock. Fans of Autumn Evening may enjoy this one, as it is yet another drier aromatic offering from Cornell and Diehl.
img_20171225_234831-337x600.jpg

Reactions: PeterPipersPizza

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Great review! What's the strength on the blend? Sounds like solid competition for some of those OTCs and megacorp bulk blends.

I love it when the types of leaf used contributes to the aromatic qualities. Damn you, Duane, I had TAD under control, but I have been exploring vanilla tobaccos, and this sounds like my El Darado. I want a balance between the vanilla, a deep earthy vanilla, with a burley or dark Virginia flavor. I have even been mixing in a little maduro with some vanillas.
Thanks Duane.

Reactions: jerseysam
Status
Not open for further replies.