PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
For those of you that have ordered 16oz block of C&D blends, the ones that come in a clear plastic rather than a tin, how do they hold up to cellaring?

I want to make a few purchases and one of them is 16oz of Briar Fox. Are they vacuum sealed? I won't be able to retrieve it for about a year as I am out of the country.

Reactions: BROBS

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Not vacuum sealed, just a thick 1 gal bags.

If I am going to be smoking the blend in say 2 months I leave it in the bag without issue. Once opened it goes into a large mason jar. If its longterm I vacuum seal the entire bag so you are going to want to do something...

stogie37

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
Assuming you’re talking about the pressed blocks, not bags of ribbon, my experience has been excellent. Opened a lb block of 2004 Night Train last Fall which I just threw in the bottom of a tote in my tobacco cellar, after 15yrs it was in superb condition. Still oily, slightly moist and clinging to the now yellowed heavy wrap. I also have an unopened lb block of Briar Fox of similar age, and it is heavy and solid. Now, these were from pre-Laudisi ownership, but for the most part, everything QC has improved since the acquisition IMO.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I haven't bought C&D in the pound bags, so I can't speak to that. Just thought I'd ask if your shipment would be received into an appropriate storage situation, especially with regards to humidity. If so, it would likely do fine. No critters would burrow into it, etc.

Reactions: BROBS
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Where are you buying 1 lb bags of C&D? Is this just bulk that comes in 1 lb bags or is it a specific offering that way? I haven't seen that, just the 2 oz or 8 oz or straight bulk. Where are you getting it from? Let me guess. P&C. LOL

litup

Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
Where are you buying 1 lb bags of C&D? Is this just bulk that comes in 1 lb bags or is it a specific offering that way? I haven't seen that, just the 2 oz or 8 oz or straight bulk. Where are you getting it from? Let me guess. P&C. LOL
Smokingpipes has a few 16 oz blocks in bags. They look like this: Briar Fox.JPG

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Spinkle

Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I purchased a pound of Virginia Flake in bulk and it came in a sealed bag almost identical to the way Mac Baren’s one pound bags arrived.

ETA: I got it from SP.com as that other site won’t ship to Canada.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I just ordered a one pound unit of Redburn.

Check back in 5 years and I'll let you know how it went.....

nana

Actually, there are more jars in my near future.

1590106029317.png

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
The 1lb blocks of briar fox are in vaccum sealed bags. I would think they would last a great while just fine, if kept out of light, heat etc. I cut mine up and put it into jars right away. I spend all night cutting, jarring, and labeling. I call it canning day!!!!!

The briar fox doesn't last long enough in my world though.....

Status
Not open for further replies.