PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

theman55

Lurker
Feb 28, 2017
I am new to pipe smoking, a buddy got me into it, and have been using his extra ones. However, I want one of my own and really unsure of what a good "beginner" pipe should be. I don't even really know where to start. Theres a lot of good info but being a newbie its quite overwhelming. Any advice or even what your first pipe may have been. This would be great!
Thanks.

downinit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2016
My first pipe was a cheap Mr brog because I wasn't sure how I would like pipes. If I started over my first pipe would be a Big Ben or a Savinelli, can't go wrong with those at the price.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I don't think there's any such thing as a "beginner" pipe. There are pipes that smoke better or worse depending on a thousand factors, only some of which we can actually control.
Set a budget and find something that is aesthetically to your liking, is well drilled, and has has decent fit and finish.
That can be anywhere from $20 to $2000 or more.

calabashed

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2015
Four figure American artisan high grade, dive in head first I say! :twisted:

addamsruspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
You can get a decent Dr Grabow for $30 or go to your local tobacconist and see if they have refurbished pipes(sometimes called basket pipes). Then if you enjoy it you can branch out into other pipes. Too get a decent starter pipe and couple samples of tobacco you shouldn't have to spend over $50.

bluegrasspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2017
If you do get a corncob, in my humble opinion, you should get a missouri meershaum, they are much higher quality for being cheap than most cheap corncobs, and some people have had the same one for 40 years plus.

Another option is an estate pipe from Ebay, buy one online from a person that refurbishes them, or a local brick and mortar.

I think it is important getting something quality, you will enjoy it more and it will be a cooler drier smoke. Estates give you this option.

Personally I like the peterson pipes, and as a starter, you can get a used one for around $50 or less on Ebay.

I have a couple of basket pipes ($20), and hate them, and on the other hand one of my favorite cheap ones was a basket churchwarden for about ($30).

There are a lot of options and everyone has their opinions of what is best. In the end you may have to experiment to find out what you really like, and that takes time, and money. Watch out or next thing you know you might have a serious collection.. :puffpipe:

Good luck.

downinit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2016
Do you have any favorites of your friend's pipes? Do you prefer bent or straight, heavy or light? Light pipes are better for clenching in your mouth

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Savinelli or Rossi (made by Savinelli) if you want briar. Missouri meerschaum if you go corn cob.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Look on the "For Sale - Pipes and Accessories" section of these forums. There are many great estate pipes you can get for a bargain. It's a great way to get a quality pipe without breaking the bank!
Tim
ps.

Welcome!!!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome to the forum!
Do you have a tobacco shop within reasonable distance? What tobacco(s) do you like? Whereabouts are you? (Approx.)

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
GBD Pipes pre 1981 are good. Look for the pipes with London in a straight line.
The later produced pipes have the word London in a circle and are of poorer quality.
Check out www.smokershaven.com

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd start with a moderately priced briar or two and a Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipe or two. If you have a "need" for an expensive pipe, you can learn about them in the meantime, so you end up with something that suits you and isn't just a financial drain. For briars, I'd recommend a Dr. Grabow Royalton; these have good acrylic stems and you can smoke them with or without the filter, or with a 6mm adaptor if you find you like a more restricted draw. For a second and third briar, a Rossi as low as $40 will be fine. These will allow you to learn pipe smoking and decide if more pipes and/or pricier pipes are of any importance to you. Buy tobacco in small quantities so you can try various blends, and save even those you don't like because your tastes will change. You need matches or a lighter, a pipe tool (pipe nail or Czech tool) and pipe cleaners, and you're ready to go. Take it slow and easy. Sip, don't puff. Don't be afraid to re-light.

aimlesswanderer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2016
Get a cob. Seriously! I learned with a cob and abused the heck out of it while trying to figure out what I was doing. That cob is now half wrecked, but if I'd done to a briar what I did to that cob, I wouldn't have been a happy bunny.
Get a cob, stick with it till you feel competent, then go get a briar. In the meantime, window shop to your heart's content.

Status
Not open for further replies.