PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
I've boughten many pipes off eBay... A good cleaning or 2, some polishing and buffing, reaming and you're set!!!

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Cyndi, give up all hope. I started out to have a seven day set. I now have a one for each day of the year collection. Plus the ones I am selling off. :puffpipe:

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I've bought all but one of my pipes on ebay. One thing I'd advise is make sure the seller has good descriptions of the product and clear, close-up pictures where you can see anything out of the ordinary. Even then it's a bit of a dice roll. Like the others said, most just need a good cleaning. The most I've had to do yet was replace a mortise and that cost an extra $3 worth of parts.

clanobucklin

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2010
Hey Baron good to see the Dante pic on as you Avatar.
Now re ebay. I started out with 30 pipes in my colllection that I bought from various pipe stores. Then I discovered EBAY! Now I have over 200 pipes in my collection. I have only been burned once - which I think is pretty good odds. Plus the sellers sometimes include a litle pipe history on the pipe they are selling. This is an excellent tool to learn about the hobby. Even if you don't buy or win anything...you can still learn about the pipe brand and maker. Like I said in the past - a lot of pipes just get passed over because they are "dirty." Well get your self some Everclear, a polishing cloth, and some pipe cleaners and get ready to RUMBLE! There a lot of great deals out there and some beautiful hidden gems waiting to find their way to your home. Enuf said. Here is one of my favorite Ebay Aquisitions. It is Cap-Belton Tabago Pipe handmade from Denmark - all it needed was a new stem :)

0614111014.jpg

torcoman

Lurker
Apr 14, 2011
And this is what i won! What do you think guys? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250847940040&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:1123

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
I think you are going to love the pipe. A pre republic Peterson is not only a fine smoking pipe but a collectible era pipe as well. And the price for an unsmoked pre republic that you paid was excellent. Most estate pre reps go for that or more. Since you are already familiar with the brand, it's a nice addition to your collection and have fun with the break in process. Don't give up on it because sometimes Pete's are a bit tough to break in til they become favorite smokers. Enjoy

Doc

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
Jeebus, an unsmoked 1950s Pre Republic for $80 bucks and change!
Well........You've stepped off the cliff despite my dire warning to save yourself.
I tried my best.
I tried to stress the financial and social risks you were tempting, but you ignored me.
Since you seem determined to go down this road I feel I should warn you about the health risks of buying estate pipes.
You are aware that girls and used pipes are diseased, right? Its the "C" word.
No, no, no...not cancer, much worse than that. COOTIES!!!
Yes, cooties. There, I've said it.
It is a well known fact that cooties deaths are grossly under-reported by the media.
Lucky for you it is unsmoked. If it had been smoked the cooties would probably kill you.
:D

torcoman

Lurker
Apr 14, 2011
haha i dont mind i am ready for anything now! I will follow that path for better or for worse :puffpipe:

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
Imagine how many years have passed by while you and this pipe were waiting to come together.
Its destiny, I say, destiny.
Very cool.
P.S. Cooties are real. Be afraid, be very afraid.

Status
Not open for further replies.