PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mano

Might Stick Around
Nov 29, 2011
A cheapo Royal Saxon bulldog ebay buy could use a new stem as a hole broke through the original. It measures 12mm diamond, which is about 1mm shy of the Stanwell I have. the vulcanite that goes into the shank is slightly smaller than the Stanwell.
The The problem is, I can't seem to find anyplace to buy just one stem. they're all sold by the dozen. It's not worth sending out for repair.
Any leads?

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
http://www.pimopipecraft.com/square.html Sells singles.

http://www.pipemakers.org/vulcanite02.html Sells in box of 12 unless specified. Maybe you could call and see if they would just sell ya one. Or get with one of the guys on here that make pipes and see if they could help you out.
Thats all I could find through BING that sold stems.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
dgerwin11 is correct as well. It also depends where the hole is, if its near the mouth piece of the stem the softy would work. If the pipe is worth a lot to you a stem replacement at one of the repair sites on line may not be too expensive. Unless you are up to the task of attempting it yourself.

mano

Might Stick Around
Nov 29, 2011
Well, in less than an hour I learned a lot. First off, Carolyn at pipemakers.org is a gem. She took the time to go through their vast inventory and offered to sell me a single stem. They don't have anything that fits my pipe specifically, but she reiterated what you all pointed out; that most any stem has to be modified to the specific pipe. So, that's the second thing.
The pipe isn't worth the cost and effort of paying to fix it or modifying it myself. Most likely I'll get a softee. Any thoughts on using some epoxy and carefully fill the hole making sure not to get any inside the stem.
It's clear to me good pipe repair takes real skill and knowledge.

wildcat

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2012
The bottom end of the stem on the Kaywoodie I saved is bit thru. Sometimes I use a softee, sometimes I don't. Over on the Dr. Grabow Collectors forum there is a thread about a product called Plastex that can be used to repair the stem. Very good thread with pics. I want to order some one day.
null (link)

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Here's one way to do a stem repair. Cheaper than the Plastex and in my experience works better on vulcanite stems than the Plastex. Plastex is great on plastic stems,such as those used on later Grabows.You can buy black Superglue,no need to mix the charcoal powder like I did.

http://drgrabows.myfreeforum.org/about1680.html

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Nice post. Now if I can only remember it if I ever need it.
Bookmarks. I now have 3,456,989 bookmarks in 6,788 folders. I can find anything--eventually :roll:

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
You're welcome! Give me a shout if you have any questions about either the Superglue or Plastex repairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.