PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

orvet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2023
Willamette Valley of Oregon
most shady pipe listings are in the mislabeled (and obviously so) and plausibly just ignorant. Like getting the age wrong or not accurately describing the condition including not stating repairs or non original parts. Not there isn't ever out right fraud but it is rare. And the one case I know about someone claimed to have things they didn't and collected money for things they didn't actually sell. I'd imagine tobacco would be easier to do that with. But even then there are easier more profitable things to commit fraud with.
That is good to know, thank you. If we see a lot of misinformed or unknowledgeable sellers in the pocket knife hobby as well. I believe someone made the point earlier in this thread about knowing the dealer your buying from. That is good advice with pocket knives as well.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
I'm one that also has rolled the dice a few times on the bay and have been mostly lucky. Like others said, ask questions and for pictures. Know what your buying and to look for subtle difference that aren't original (fish tail stem, slight bend, stain color, etc). I'm much more careful if it's a pipe for my collection. If it's just a nice little vintage estate, I'm not as concerned.