PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Up until about a week ago I haven’t had more than a tin of “the good stuff” and 2 oz of bulk at a time. Then I found this forum and y’all have scared me into thinking I need a cellar.

I don't know about "needing" to cellar but I buy what I have the budget for and even then I take advantage of sales if at all possible.

For example, C&D tins are on sale right now so I bought C&D tins. A while back Sutliff bulk was on sale so I bought it by the pound. Things build up over time. There's no need to chase anything. Patience pays off.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I think I’ve adopted a new philosophy today. Every time I buy a tin I’m buying 2. I’ll smoke one and cellar the other. If I need another tin, I’ll buy 2 more, and so on.
This has been my method for trying new Virginia blends for quite some time - one tin for now, and one for the long term, aged. I have been doing it long enough that I have a nice supply of aged BBF, for example.
It's interesting how the term "cellar" has changed in the past few years. When I came back to the pipe in the early 2000s, and was hanging out in the old Yahoo PS2 group, to "cellar" meant to set aside for the purpose of aging.
Now, with a lot of newer pipe smokers suffering from FOMO, they are just talking about a huge stash of tobacco they have never smoked, but, gee, everybody on the forums says its great, so I will drop a bunch of money on it.
This is, by the way,intended as an observation, not a criticism, although it sure can make it hard for those of us without FOMO and without as much money to spend on pipe tobacco. puffy

Reactions: seanv

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
"cellar" meant to set aside for the purpose of aging.
That was never why I did it, aging doesn't affect tobacco enough for me to care. I noticed early on that tobacco was steadily climbing in price. I started putting it away to have tobacco around when I could no longer afford it.

Reactions: shanez and seanv

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I usually do that with wines, but with tobacco it never occurred to me. I did have some runs with tobacco I simply disliked and I figured makes no sense to buy more than one of any tobacco you have never tried.

I could care less what someone else thinks about my cellar. Jealousy looks good on some folks, ha ha.
But, with a blend that I am unsure about, I buy three. One for now, one for a few years from now, and one for long after I have forgotten I even had it. But, if it is a blend that I feel very confident that I will like, I will go ahead and buy as much as I can on the first try. 30 tins of a new Virginia or small batch release is not much of a risk, as I have never found a Virginia that I couldn't smoke. So, think what you will... be jealous... ha ha! puffy

Reactions: rmpeeps and shanez

Frozenoak

Can't Leave
Oct 9, 2019
Lake Elsinore, CA
I guess my fears revolve more around cost than FOMO, but both are of concern. As it stands right now, I have a tin of OJK and Pirate Kake in the Cellar. I didn't buy an extra tin of Briar Fox the last time I was in my B&M so, if I like it, I'll may have to buy an extra one. I have no fear of those going away any time soon, unless California bans tobacco. I fully intend to take advantage of sales when they are good and also of the Tobacco Sell/Swap/Search thread here, as budget allows. After 15 years, I've still got a lot to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.