PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
In my quest for knowledge in all things pipe related, I have read and viewed many contradictory opinions.
One, concerning butane and filling of lighters, concerns how to best dispense the gas.
Some say to shake the can before using and others say to NOT shake the can.
With my tiny sample group of one user and two lighters (IM Corona Old Boy and Xicar Scribe), I have decided that shaking the can before filling the lighter regularly produces better results.
I experience less failure to ignite and more complete filling. (based on the sight glass on the Scribe)
The gas used to date has been the Colibri Premium Butane in the 10.1/300ml can.
What butane lighter tidbits have you amassed in your personal quest for fire?
jay-roger.jpg

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Run hot water alongside of can, you are there fore increasing pressure, put lighter in a Fridge for a couple minutes, you are decreasing pressure in lighter. Leave lighter for about 5 mins in Fridge, then with lighter upside down, plunge Butane can down and count to 8, wait a couple mins, do again, one more time for a total of 3 hits. As Justin Wilson would say I Garronte your lighter will be full.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Run hot water alongside of can, you are there fore increasing pressure, put lighter in a Fridge for a couple minutes, you are decreasing pressure in lighter. Leave lighter for about 5 mins in Fridge, then with lighter upside down, plunge Butane can down and count to 8, wait a couple mins, do again, one more time for a total of 3 hits. As Justin Wilson would say I Garronte your lighter will be full.
Miss Justin. Watched every show.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Turn flame adjuster to its lowest setting before filling. After filling, let lighter rest for about 5 mins. Turn flame adjuster to the mid way point and then light. After that just adjust flame height to your desired level. Also after three refills, push the lighter fill stem down to drain any butane and then refill as stated above.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I vent the lighter before refilling each time to get rid of the air. I keep it simple. Hold lighter upside down, mate up the butane nozzle, press to fill for 5 to 7 seconds. I don't do it but Ray's suggestion of turning the adjustment all the way down sounds like a good one. I've been told by many the worse thing on butane lighters is over filling (or attempting to overfill).
I also keep a can of the high performance butane around and run it through the lighter every now and then.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Heh, I always tried desperately to avoid shaking or unsettling the can too much before filling. I don't know if it's something someone told me back in the day or what, but I thought shaking it introduced more air into the lighter. Sounds like that's a myth. My can doesn't address it one way or the other. Messing with hot and cold to manipulate pressure levels sounds interesting as well.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I just fill it without shaking until it spews out. I do use the x11 refined stuff. Using cheap flints has caused me more problems than anything else however.

Status
Not open for further replies.