PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I've been using hemp wick and lighting IT with a bic. I've got several other butanes, refillable types, but they always seem to break down at some point.
A quick bic flick and the wick is lit.
Saves butane and allows for a soft and leisurely accessible flame, that also is great for re-lights on those bigger bowls when the tobacco level is getting toward the bottom half.

Reactions: Usman
Jul 15, 2011
newbroom, I will have to try that. I think I have a roll of hemp wick around here somewhere that was given to me by a good buddy of mine.

armonts

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2018
France
As for the butane insert adapted in a Zippo gasoline, I have one, it's good for cigarillos (and still especially inside it works badly in the wind), but less good for the pipe because the tank is small and it will not last long!

In addition it is opaque and we do not see the content ...

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I would highly recommend you find someone who has an old boy style lighter and try actually using it before you buy it. I bought one mainly because I liked the aesthetic, but after using it for a while I found it to be pretty fiddly to use. I gave it to my father who has old stubby fingers, and he couldn't use it at all. I've since started using Djeep lighters, and I find their extra width and huge button makes it easy to flick with my index finger with the lighter held horizontally. This accomplishes the same thing as an old boy style lighter, and even my arthritic father has taken to using them.
Example:

giphy.gif

upnorth1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2017
La Belle Province, Canada
If you still want to use your zippo, you can always opt for a butane pipe insert. You just replace your regular insert with an insert that is self contained, refillable, and perfect for pipes. Just bought one myself. I think the brand is Z-pipe.
I use one of these in a Zippo lighter and it works well. you can also buy them on eBay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I think you'll have better results if you regrip the lighter so the thumb actuates the wheel and holds down the lever for lighting.

Also start by holding the lighter vertically, then tilt the bowl and lighter towards each other while drawing the flame in with inhaling through the stem.
Never a problem with the Old Boy, which I use similarly to the above as with DJeeps or BICs. Hope this helps!

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I think you'll have better results if you regrip the lighter so the thumb actuates the wheel and holds down the lever for lighting.

Also start by holding the lighter vertically, then tilt the bowl and lighter towards each other while drawing the flame in with inhaling through the stem.
Never a problem with the Old Boy, which I use similarly to the above as with DJeeps or BICs. Hope this helps!
Actually I don't have better luck that way at all. That's why I use a Djeep. It's easier to hold and light with my index finger(which feels way more natural), and I get a clear view of what the flame is doing. Starting vertically pretty much defeats the purpose and ergonomics of having a sideways firing flame(like and Old Boy or Zippo with Pipe insert).

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
I really enjoy my Kiribi lighter I got as a gift last year.
You’ll read good and bad about a lot of different high end pipe lighters but I say if you want one go for it.
The advantages are nothing different in my opinion to a cheaper bic other than the angle of the flame is more finger friendly, and they just look cool. I’ve always been a sucker for nice lighters.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I've got my eye on a Kiribi but I've been happy with some no-name dual flame torch lighters I got on Amazon (3 pack for $25). The jet flame works for cigars and the soft flame for pipes. Could also make some crème brulé with them as well. :)
Here's some pics of the 2 flames as low and high as they'll go:
IMG_20180725_200500327.jpg

IMG_20180725_200521665.jpg

IMG_20180725_200539812.jpg

IMG_20180725_200527611.jpg

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Any other fans of lighter fluid here? I squirt a bit in the bowl, stuff, then hit it with a MAP torch. Never need a relight.

spugni

Might Stick Around
Mar 18, 2017
Long Island, NY
I recently purchased a Peterson lighter. It has been very reliable. I highly recommend it. I got mine from gq tobacco in the UK. It was much cheaper than US retailers even with the shipping charges.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Any other fans of lighter fluid here? I squirt a bit in the bowl, stuff, then hit it with a MAP torch. Never need a relight.

Oh, damn. I have been doing it wrong. I've been filling the pipe with tobacco first, then squirting on the fluid, then the torch. Got any photos or videos of your method?? :)

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Xikar Pipline broke within two months. No issues exchanging it. Still not a great lighter. Bought a Kiribi Kabuto vintage black, awesome lighter. Easy to use super solid feel huge fuel capacity. Really enjoy it. Also zippo butane insert works great. Like the flip / “clink” of the zippo. Good luck. PS: no butane lighter works well in the wind. I also find smoking a pipe in the wind difficult and annoying.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Place a flat piece of wood or cardboard or almost anything flat and small and clamp it with your hand. You can still draw with it in place, usually, and the damper keeps the wind out. Good up to 25 kts, though lighting may be a touch tricky.... :)

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I desperately want to give one of those Kiribi lighters a try, but never seem to justify the cost. Bic and Djeep are just so affordable. But you should let me live vicariously through you and get a Kiribi. Advantages, you look really cool, there is a softer flame, there are two holes, and thus two flames, so it is much better at evenly lighting a pipe, the flame is angled better to save your rim, and you look really cool.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
I have lots of lighters. The one I use most is the Zippo with the butane pipe insert.

Status
Not open for further replies.