PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

john19

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2021
Greece
I see many prefer wider bowls, and especially for english, mixtures blends. But I have a question, about how well the smoke burns in a wider bowl. Let's say for example in bowls with 23mm(0.90") diameter. It is true that in larger diameter bowls, it is difficult to keep the tobacco lit? Maybe tobacco burns only in the center? Or chamber depth also play role with that? What is your experience?

john19

Nov 27, 2021
Greece
You'll get used to quickly light the whole surface of the tobacco. It's not really a problem. Sometimes it seems to burn only at center, but you can fix that with pipe tools/tamper. Just have to smoke long enough to pick up the tricks.
But, you don't need to puff faster too?

KruegerFlap

Might Stick Around
Dec 3, 2021
Ohio
I have come to prefer wider bowls for their ease of smoking. I find it much easier to get the right pack on the first go and a better draw which requires less effort to keep a good cadence and burn. It all depends on your other preps though, such as making sure your tobacco is dry enough. There are so many things that can effect your burn performance and rarely is it the diameter or depth of your pipe that's the cause. I can get a good or poor performance out of just about any pipe, but if I just slow down and give more attention to how I prep the tobacco and pack the pipe then chances are it will burn well. Part of the fun of pipe smoking for me is experiencing how the same tobacco can give seemingly different flavors out of the myriads of different pipes.

hyperstar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 10, 2022
Formosa, Taiwan
I have a 23mm diameter bowl pipe. It's sure easier keeping it lit than my 20mm diameter bowl pipes. The pipe is hard to go out. I don't have to puff it.
And I find wide & shallow bowls are better for English blends than small & tall bowls. A wide & shallow bowl allows more of the flavor of the tobacco coming through in the smoke.
So I suggest you making a choice on your preference for blends.

488746.jpg

Reactions: yanoJL and john19

john19

Nov 27, 2021
Greece
I have come to prefer wider bowls for their ease of smoking. I find it much easier to get the right pack on the first go and a better draw which requires less effort to keep a good cadence and burn. It all depends on your other preps though, such as making sure your tobacco is dry enough. There are so many things that can effect your burn performance and rarely is it the diameter or depth of your pipe that's the cause. I can get a good or poor performance out of just about any pipe, but if I just slow down and give more attention to how I prep the tobacco and pack the pipe then chances are it will burn well. Part of the fun of pipe smoking for me is experiencing how the same tobacco can give seemingly different flavors out of the myriads of different pipes.
I always let the tobacco dry very well. I like it much better dry.

john19

Nov 27, 2021
Greece
I have a 23mm diameter bowl pipe. It's sure easier keeping it lit than my 20mm diameter bowl pipes. The pipe is hard to go out. I don't have to puff it.
And I find wide & shallow bowls are better for English blends than small & tall bowls. A wide & shallow bowl allows more of the flavor of the tobacco coming through in the smoke.
So I suggest you making a choice on your preference for blends.

View attachment 175571
I had in my mind to get a greek Alexander pipe. But finally I decided to go to Savinelli. I'm between 320, 606, 622, 904, 920. I'm thinking more about 320. I like it, and I've heard it's great. It have wide and shallow bowl. I want her for English, mixtures.

john19

Nov 27, 2021
Greece
I find for me, that I get a lot more flavor just letting the cherry burn in the center. Your flavor comes, not from the burning tobacco, but from the release of the oils in the tobacco from the leaf surrounding the cherry, so the more tobacco around the cherry, more flavor. YMMV
Nice advice. Thanks.

Moonbog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
I had in my mind to get a greek Alexander pipe. But finally I decided to go to Savinelli. I'm between 320, 606, 622, 904, 920. I'm thinking more about 320. I like it, and I've heard it's great. It have wide and shallow bowl. I want her for English, mixtures.
Yeah, I have the 320 dedicated for English blends and some English aromatics and it really is a great pipe. Minimal relights, easy draw..the whole works. One my favorite shapes. Only down side for me is it's tricky running a pipe cleaner through the stem of the pipe during cleanup. But that can just be me. Oh, and I almost always use the balsa filter with it.

john19

Nov 27, 2021
Greece
Yeah, I have the 320 dedicated for English blends and some English aromatics and it really is a great pipe. Minimal relights, easy draw..the whole works. One my favorite shapes. Only down side for me is it's tricky running a pipe cleaner through the stem of the pipe during cleanup. But that can just be me. Oh, and I almost always use the balsa filter with it.
Does it hold enough tobacco? I want a big bowl, to keep me α while. It has a large diameter, but is a little shallow.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I must be doing something wrong or have not learned the correct technique or am too impatient for wider chambers. I have a beautiful Comoy 215 bent billiard with a chamber of 22mmx52mm - roughly Peterson pub pipe size - but the draft hole is so large I tend to gag when smoking it. It seems to burn fast and hot.
Same with my Peterson second house pipe and my Butz choquin calabash Jr. - Even if i slow down to barely nothing - there is still too much air and smoke. From the comments here I am guessing I am not packing correctly and drawing too hard ???

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
My wide(r) and deep(er) bowled pipes like my Neerup (which is a designated english pipe) smokes just as well as my narrow(er) Flake pipes. No more relights if the tobacco has the correct moisture content than other and the draw is even easier as you have more air surface to draw in. Like Cosmic said there is also no need for a all around burn but the tobacco must have enough room to spread evenly if were talking multiple leafs.

I don't own a Sav 320, but I think it will work great with ribbon mixture tobacco.

john19

Nov 27, 2021
Greece
I must be doing something wrong or have not learned the correct technique or am too impatient for wider chambers. I have a beautiful Comoy 215 bent billiard with a chamber of 22mmx52mm - roughly Peterson pub pipe size - but the draft hole is so large I tend to gag when smoking it. It seems to burn fast and hot.
Same with my Peterson second house pipe and my Butz choquin calabash Jr. - Even if i slow down to barely nothing - there is still too much air and smoke. From the comments here I am guessing I am not packing correctly and drawing too hard ???
I hope someone who knows will tell you.