PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Dc552

Lurker
Apr 14, 2023
Good day I just had my fourth bowl in my new peterson. There is one dark section at the bottom of the bowl and I was curious is this burnout our cake

Cheers,

Attachments

• F479601A-C2EA-4DC1-B1BD-5B4271C209EE.jpeg
    F479601A-C2EA-4DC1-B1BD-5B4271C209EE.jpeg
    71.5 KB · Views: 47

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
New pipe smokers are often in an ongoing panic about burn-out. I have about ninety pipes, and I've owned a number more over forty years or more, and I have yet to have a burn-out.

What I'd worry about more, in your shoes, is over-reaming. Beginners can do a world of damage to pipes with reamers. If you'd like to eliminate that problem, you can scoop the ash out after each smoke and wipe out the bowl with an abrasive paper towel. Without cake, you'll always have a full-sized bowl and maintain a sufficient carbon layer.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Good day I just had my fourth bowl in my new peterson. There is one dark section at the bottom of the bowl and I was curious is this burnout our cake

Cheers,
protip you'll know if you get burn out. You won't be unsure about it. For one it's terrible on the taste and aroma fronts. Terrible. Only experienced it once with a pipe that was more for display then smoking. Still have it but don't count it as a pipe. I'll put it this way newbies ask this regularly and not once has it been burnout. Now occasionally a new or old smoker will post their burnouts. Only time they aren't sure is when it's very tiny and even then it's like 90 percent sure.

Reactions: ThermionicScott