PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifeon2

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2012
denver co
Ok so I may be getting my hands on some burn out pipes and I have read a dozen ways to repair them. So far I have jb weld, unsanded powder grout and three different recipes for pipe mud and the pipe cement in the sticky here. pros and cons? These are mostly for me to learn on and I would be happy to share my results as I go. But being new to pipe repair I wouldnt mind a little guidance from those more experienced than my self.
Rick

lifeon2

Jan 19, 2012
denver co
I'm not actually sure of the over all condition. One of my customers owns a local b&m and he is giving me a few pipes so I can play with them, sanding, staining, bend the stems etc, so that I dont goober up any of my good pipes learning this stuff. I figured I would have a go at repairing the burn out as well.

ichbinmuede

Feb 17, 2011
The best way I can think to repair a burn out would be to drill it and turn a dowel of appropriate size from briar and glue it in. You could hide the repair with some rustication and have filled it with a material we all know can stand the heat.

I'm about as experienced with such a thing as you are though but I can't imagine how it could get any better than that.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Unless it's burnt all the way through,I'd stick with the pipe mud. For deep fills probably best to do in several layers.

Status
Not open for further replies.