PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
Uhle's makes several top notch burley blends, I love Perfection Plug and 303. MacBaren's Golden Extra and London Blend are nice as well.
Don't forget the classics like Prince Albert or Sir Walter Raleigh, they haven't lasted this long because they are poor smokes. :D

gageploungin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2012
1)Solani Aged Burley Flake

2)Wessex Burley Slice

3)Hearth & Home Classic Burley Kake

4)C&D Burley Flake 1

johnnyrebel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2010
Prince Albert, Fireside, H&H Angler's Dream are a few that i really like. Tis the season for Burley!! :D

pipewife

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2012
Angler's Dream, Classic Burley Kake, Scotty's Butternut Burley, and Beverwyck (all from P&C) are some I enjoy regularly. If you like deer-tongue (herb) then add in H&H Old Tartan and C&D Gentleman Caller. In the classics corner, can't forget Granger or Half&Half (Lane version).

ryepipe

Lurker
Aug 31, 2010
Head and shoulders (no, not a shampoo tobacco) above for my taste is House of Calabash blends. Brooks has some serious blending mojo.

Wild Rose- House of Calabash (Steven Brooks)

Grandfather's Own-House of Calabash

Classic Burley Kake- Pipes& Cigars

Pegasus (with a bit Basma added and Black cav) C&D

Stonehaven (Burley & Va) A favorite of Jabba the Hutt. Esoteric

Penzance, I believe has some burley in there

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Thanks, so, I guess alot of you like VA's as regular everyday do to's, favorites there? I am still trying to understand the difference.

Jul 12, 2011
Oh sweet Vs;

Marlin Flake

Dunhill Flake

Solani's Silver Flake

SG's St James

SG's FVF

SG...oh hell "All" the SG line of V flake is outstanding ;-)

F&T's CVP

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
instymp- The difference between burley and virgina is one of taste. Burleys are usually cased in some way, and often present a taste that is described as "nutty" or "toasty". Virginias are very sweet and present a taste that is often described as "grassy" or "hay like".
Within each group are subgroups, for example: Virginas can come in reds, stoved, or lemons.
Burleys can be something like a white burley, which to me tastes something like cocca. I think white burleys are almost as sweet as virginias.
Hope that helps?

ryepipe

Lurker
Aug 31, 2010
Senor Jud,

Late reply but now I am part of the 1%.

Good heads up on the white burley mlaug, thanks.

john218

May 5, 2012
Connecticut
I favor English blends, but I bought some corn cobs and Carter Hall back in the summer for a change of pace. Then I wanted to see what a premium burley blend would be like, so I bought some Solani Aged Burley Flake and Wessex Burley Slice. Glad I did.
There will always be some of both in my cellar.

smokey422

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2011
My favorite burley? Russ O.'s Classic Burley Kake. Other favorites include several C&D blends like Morley's Best, Pegasus, and OJK. Peretti's has some excellent burleys, including BPC, Cuban Mixture, and 333. I also like H&H Old Tartan, my favorite deer tongue blend. There are still a few decent OTC blends left, like Carter Hall and Prince Albert. I'm still mourning the passing of Edgeworth Ready Rubbed. I still have a 14 oz. tin here that is for a special occasion someday.
Smokey

whitebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2010
Big & Burley has worked it's way to the top of my favorite list
Morley's Best is close on it's heels
'Old Joe' and Haunted Bookshop round out my rotation

Status
Not open for further replies.