PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AlanH

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 29, 2021
North Alabama
As a relatively new partaker of the pipe and as a complete newbie to non-aromatic blends I have discovered partially through this forum a great love for Virginia's of all kinds and Vapors. After reading MSO and Cosmic and everybody and their brother who smokes haunted bookshop I decided to try some Burley. I bought a tin of C&D Brair Fox at a brick and mortar. After having tried several bowls of this blend It is a very nice change of pace. While I do not like it as well as the Virginia's, it is very nice and quite different. So I ordered to try some Amphora Burley Blend and 2 oz of the very divisive Haunted Bookshop. I have only have one bowl of each of these new blends I like them both. The haunted bookshop is different but I like it. I still think I prefer the Brair Fox ? but that may just be because I've had more of it. What other burley blends would you guys suggest? I sure do appreciate all the insight and knowledge I have gained in my short time here it is fun to try these new blends.
IMG_20220104_123846_01.jpg

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
Thats a nice box of tobacco you got there. I'm relearning and have tried multiple blends both english and aromatics. I still get bite frequently. I'm trying to narrow down the cause. I've read TONS on this site. I think I need to get a couple simple burleys and various straight virginians to see if anything particular sets me off. Then I'll try one particular tobacco in three different pipes. Kinda hard to narrow it down to what might be bothering me. I'm not smoking hot. I keep seeing this haunted Bookshop pop up.

Stokkebye Cube Cut
MacB Golden Extra
MacB Burley Flake
C&D Kelly’s Coin, which is kind of strong, so if you don’t like their Pegasus, skip this one.

I have a whole stack of John Cotton pressed burleys that I haven’t tried yet. But, I’ve been told it’s a good burley.

If you want to explore burleys in their glory, C&D has a whole bunch of great burleys, Burleys and Latakia, perique, VaBurs, etc…. I am really enjoying Epiphany with its latakia and burleys.

Haunted Bookshop is very unique. I think perique fans would find it very interesting.

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
Yep, one more vote for Pegasus.

Amphora Burley blend I also like but haven't smoked for a month, have been enjoying University Flake but the topping may or may not be your thing - my favourite thing about it, but id imagine without it's unique topping it may be a pedestrian blend.

Give Pegasus a go.

(I think by end of the year C&D will have a nice increase in Pegasus sales !)

Reactions: RobNYC and AlanH

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
@Brendan for what its worth, I got given a flake of aged university flake the other day, and had to guess what it was. The topping was all gone, and I had no idea what I was smoking (I would know fresh uni flake fairly quickly). Under the topping is some really nice leaf, thoroughly good smoke in my opinion.

Reactions: Brendan

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Try an OTC or three, Alan.

I can see and feel the rolled eyes.

But it’s a mistake that many make, dismissing the 100 year old classics. Not just Granger but Carter Hall, Sir Walter Raleigh, Prince Albert, Half n Half, Velvet and others.

Only to discover years later that these are actually easy smoking, flavorful blends.

AlanH

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 29, 2021
North Alabama
No eye rolling here. I am the same way with coffee I roast coffee sometimes and get all particular about how I do a pour over or make a shot of espresso. Yet sometimes I just make a instant coffee with cream and sugar ?. Years ago I smoked Carter's hall when I was in college and I really liked it but it's not the same as it used to be correct? I want to try Granger and Velvet. I really am liking Briarfox the best out of the three Burley blends I have but I like Amphora and Hunted Book Shop too.

BonyTony

Lurker
Jan 2, 2022
I have to agree with renfeild. My suggestions for burley are HH Burley Flake, Peter Stokkebye Cube Cut, and Solani Aged Burley Flake if you can find it. All three smoke very well and fit different styles of burley. Another thing you should consider is dark-fired blends. Although they aren't exactly burley I think they fill a similar vein. You should check out Old Dark Fired, Jack Knife Plug, Six Pence, and Irish Flake.

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
@Brendan for what its worth, I got given a flake of aged university flake the other day, and had to guess what it was. The topping was all gone, and I had no idea what I was smoking (I would know fresh uni flake fairly quickly). Under the topping is some really nice leaf, thoroughly good smoke in my opinion.

Hey @mortonbriar thanks for that heads up, thinking back 'pedestrian' seems harsh to describe it as I've only been smoking it the last couple of months from 2019 tins. Plan on getting more for long term aging, and yes I agree with the quality of the leaf, not fair from me to judge something when I haven't smoked more than a tin.

Reactions: mortonbriar