PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Wessex Burley Slice has a molasses topping. It is bittersweet at times. I think it is the best burley flake out there but I am biased against the stronger blends.

ekert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 26, 2018
Cigars typically use corojo and criollo. Criollo leaf was growing in Cuba before Columbus whereas burley was a strain that originated from KY/OH. There are many other varieties used in cigars such as Sumatra, Cameroon, Mata Fina, Arapiraca, Broadleaf, Shade, San Andres, and pelo de oro... none of which are burleys.

georgebmcclelland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2018
I usually take my burley intravenously injected, as soon as I wake up. I'd highly recommend it, really knocks you back in the ol' rocking chair.
But yeah, all the Mac Baren HH flakes I've tried have been awesome. I still need to try out Burley Flake #1.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
I've been slow to warm up to burley. I tried ODF and it wasn't my thing. Solani ABF is fantastic though. I really want to try the HH Burley Flake next.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
HH Burley Flake is good but it is less sweet than Wessex Burley Slice, for example.
It is important to note that WBS is not a sweet blend overall but like black coffee it can have some sweet notes among the darker roastier flavours. One is more likely to pick out the sweeter side with experience and continued enjoyment of the blend as opposed to on the first try.

whiteburleydude

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2017
Wessex BS has a molasses note. ABF is more cocoa. Both great. I prefer Wessex for the natural sweetness.

georgebmcclelland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2018
On an unhelpful side note, if you're someone like myself (perhaps a lumberjack or a grizzly bear, etc.) who does like Kentucky Dark Fired, and you haven't tried HH Bold Kentucky, then you should definitely get some. It is amazing. I guess that depending on who's spewing out facts, KDF either is or is not, could or could may not be technically a Burley. I read somewhere that the farmers consider it a separate leaf, but whatever. I don't really care what they call it, call it GDG, God-Dern'-Good, that's what it is. I usually just get the pound box, bite off the right amount (alot) and spit it out into the cob.

georgebmcclelland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2018
But also, on a slightly less un-helpful note, HH Old Dark Fired really is way more mellow than Bold Kentucky, and I'd give it a shot if you like sweet Burley. It's probably got more Burley than Kentucky in it. Still gosh-dern' good, just won't add any extra hairs on your nips. I'm actually puffin' on some right now, and I'm getting lots of sweetness. With what I consider a classic tobacco flavor, not quite full, I'm also tasting a little molasses, a little fruit (yes, it is citrus, but some other fruit as well) from the Virginia, some hickory-smoked jerky.. or is it honey-smoked ham? Also wheat, maybe a fence post... or an unpainted barn door? Maybe? Again, it's delicious.

Status
Not open for further replies.