PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Swampfox

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2022
North Central Florida
I’m finding as I sample more tobaccos I really enjoy VaPers. In particular I like the bready, fruity, tangy flavors. I have yet to try many burley blends. I recently accidentally ordered a small quantity of Haunted Bookshop and love it. In particular I like the nutty/woody flavor that I attribute to the burley? I feel it enhances the flavors I mentioned above that draws me to the VaPers. With this in mind do any of y’all have any suggestions of other burley based blends to try?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I’m finding as I sample more tobaccos I really enjoy VaPers. In particular I like the bready, fruity, tangy flavors. I have yet to try many burley blends. I recently accidentally ordered a small quantity of Haunted Bookshop and love it. In particular I like the nutty/woody flavor that I attribute to the burley? I feel it enhances the flavors I mentioned above that draws me to the VaPers. With this in mind do any of y’all have any suggestions of other burley based blends to try?
5brothers i am mad for it. The whole c&d burly flake lines are top notch even if not looking for burly. The 1st suggestion is burly in a beautifully raw sense the flakes are good at show burly as the star but enhanced by other means. They have a creative flair.

Reactions: mso489

Swampfox

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2022
North Central Florida
Thanks for the replies! I’ve been reading about briar fox and I think it’s next on the list. I tend to buy small bulk samples for cost reasons when trying new tobacco so I will see if the others are available in that format. I’ve only found briar fox in tins. I love that in an hour y’all probably gave me a years worth of “homework.” Maybe after a couple of years I’ll even find a favorite. Right now it always seems to be the last thing I smoked…

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
Thanks for the replies! I’ve been reading about briar fox and I think it’s next on the list. I tend to buy small bulk samples for cost reasons when trying new tobacco so I will see if the others are available in that format. I’ve only found briar fox in tins. I love that in an hour y’all probably gave me a years worth of “homework.” Maybe after a couple of years I’ll even find a favorite. Right now it always seems to be the last thing I smoked…
A lot of C&D's Burley mixture offerings are available in bulk.

Reactions: mso489
Mar 13, 2020
missouri
Jeez. Add Carter Hall and you have 100 percent of the tobaccos I smoke. Nailed it.
Heh, I've actually never tried Carter Hall. I keep meaning to throw some in with my next order but I always forget. I've been on a Granger kick as far as OTCs go recently.

I was smoking Amphora Burley a lot at work then I ran out. I found a jar of semois and picayune that I got a couple years ago and that's been perfect because I don't need to dry it out any.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Sounds like you're into the savory side of burley blends rather than the sweet side. Although burley isn't sweet in itself it's often used in a lot of sweet aro-style blends because it accepts topping well. In any event, you might like the C&D Burley Flake series. Quite tasty for burley fans (plus, no aros)

mav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 14, 2021
Chicago
Burleys that I enjoy in bulk are PS 41 cube cut, Sutliff ready rub match for Lane limited, Velvet (very light), Pegasus, Burley light without bite ( Lane limited BL/WB and Golden Extra. Good luck!

Many of the "codger blends" are burley based and actually pretty good. Simple and tasty. Sir Walter Raleigh comes to mind, very cheap, you could get a pouch to try and then move on to the tub if you like it.

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
I highly recommend trying some C&D Dark Burley, straight. It'll really give you the feel for what burley is before it is blended, toasted, flavored, etc. (Five Brothers, mentioned above, will also serve this purpose but I find C&D dark to be smoother and gentler, though still strong). I have found that my favorite smoke is simply C&D dark burley mixed with a pinch of their white.

Reactions: JOHN72