PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

marconi

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2019
England
Hi Guys I would like some advice on what to buy.
.A friend across the pond sent me a small sample of Pegasus which i liked.I would like to explore Burley or Va Bur some more.C&D is difficult to come by for me. Gawith and German blends are easier.Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
.A friend across the pond sent me a small sample of Pegasus which i liked.I would like to explore Burley or Va Bur some more.C&D is difficult to come by for me. Gawith and German blends are easier.Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
If you can get Mac Baren, HH Old Dark Fired and HH Burley Flake.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
McConnell Scottish Flake is a great va/bur/per. Highly recommended. I think the Scottish Cake is similar.
St Bruno Flake is a va/bur with a nice, quite complex topping.
Samuel Gawith Lakeland Dark is a dark stoved va/bur with a lot of strength. 1792 Flake is the same tobacco with a tonquin topping.
Peterson's Irish Flake and Peterson's Perfect Plug are superb as well.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Good suggestions all around. You can also do a home mix with single leaf Virginia and burley, play around with the proportions and find your exact set point. A pinch of unflavored black Cavendish is often a nice touch to add volume to the smoke. Va/bur is the classic basic mix, and it is usually difficult to go wrong with quality base tobacco.

Reactions: marconi

B18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2015
Burley blends:
Solani Aged Burley,
Amphora Burley
HH Old Dark Fired (is an burley variant)

VA/Bur:
DTM The Mallard
Mac Baren Golden blend
Mac Baren Virginia blend

G&H twists should be Va/Bur blends if not mistaken

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
St Bruno Flake is a va/bur with a nice, quite complex topping.
Samuel Gawith Lakeland Dark is a dark stoved va/bur with a lot of strength. 1792 Flake is the same tobacco with a tonquin topping.
Peterson's Irish Flake and Peterson's Perfect Plug are superb as well.
Great recommendations there! Spot on...

Reactions: marconi and workman

Dandy Pipesmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2020
Switzerland
Gawith & Hoggarth Four Squiers.
A medium base of Virginias and Burleys complimented by a sweet maple background.
Grasmere is the same with a floral topping.

marconi

May 17, 2019
England
Some great suggestions thank you all.
Shows how much I know about Burley which is zilch as I have some of the blends suggested recently bought a tin of McConnell flake and a tin of the cake, now I thought those blends were VA pers with Kentucky.So is Kentucky a Burley?
I have been thinking about buying Solani Aged Burley or the Silver flake.Both easily available but expensive and I don't know whether I would like them.
I think I will buy some 10gr samples of the Gawith and Hoggarth suggestions from GQ.Then I will see if cup of joes has Mac Baren Old Dark fired or the Burley Flake in bulk.
When I was smoking Pegasus I had one bowl where i picked up on the creamy/nutty burley taste which was one of those nirvana smoking moments.
didi you can call me what you like, in my head i just keep seeing didi drogba.

Reactions: workman

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
If you are looking for softer, less intense and more of a codger style (faintly aromatic but not overtly topped) try Carter Hall, MacBaren Symphony and Golden Extra, along with HH Burley Flake and Solani and Wessex Burley Flake. Some of the G&H blends (like Dark Flake and Dark Birdseye) are really good, but also really strong for a newer pipe smoker.

drrock

Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota

One of the most classic been-around-a-long-time VaBur blends - MacBaren Symphony (aka Harmony)

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Some great suggestions thank you all.
Shows how much I know about Burley which is zilch as I have some of the blends suggested recently bought a tin of McConnell flake and a tin of the cake, now I thought those blends were VA pers with Kentucky.So is Kentucky a Burley?
I have been thinking about buying Solani Aged Burley or the Silver flake.Both easily available but expensive and I don't know whether I would like them.
I think I will buy some 10gr samples of the Gawith and Hoggarth suggestions from GQ.Then I will see if cup of joes has Mac Baren Old Dark fired or the Burley Flake in bulk.
When I was smoking Pegasus I had one bowl where i picked up on the creamy/nutty burley taste which was one of those nirvana smoking moments.
didi you can call me what you like, in my head i just keep seeing didi drogba.
Kentucky is another term for fire cured dark burley. And a place.

Status
Not open for further replies.