Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
_DSC0412.jpg

I've always been intrigued by the bulldog shape but in my 20 years as a pipe smoker I've never owned one. Lately I've been seeing some amazing examples of this classic shape in the PM forum. I like a bulldog that is big around and hand filling yet short and squat. And most importantly to me is that the pipe posesses a huge slanted rim.
_DSC0414.jpg

A couple weeks ago in a forum discussion the Italian pipe maker Brebbia came up. When curious about a brand I'm not familiar with I like to click over to Smokingpipes.com and browse their extensive selection of pipes. Smokingpipes.com really shines as an online vendor because of three things. Excellent photography, accurate specifications and of course top notch customer service.
_DSC0415.jpg

I spied this Brebbia Serie X 624 bulldog and was immediately captivated by it's shape. Over the past couple weeks I returned to the site to admire the pipe with it's gentle bent shank of about 10 degrees and it's wide sloping rim accentuated by the double cut beading around the circumference of the bowl. Finally PAD got the better of me and I placed my order last Sunday.
_DSC0416.jpg

I've recently become a fan of pressed flake style tobaccos. I like to prepare my flakes by spliting them with a pen-knife and loading them lengthwise into the bowl like putting sticks into a bucket. What I have noticed is that the tobacco burns slow and cool with the outer row of "sticks" closest to the wall of the bowl are the last to combust. Eventually I have to bend these flakes over with the tamper as my smoke progresses.
_DSC0417.jpg

Because of the burn characteristics of flake tobacco I thought some Mac Baren Vanilla Cream Flakes would be ideal for the initial smoke of my new pipe. With flake the ember always seems to stay centered in the bowl away from the walls.
My son was using the computer so I grabbed a pencil and a piece of paper and spent an hour savoring the first bowl and wrote out my post. What I noticed is that the Brebbia 624 smoked great and felt awesome in my hand. Very nice!

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Bull dog pipes are my favorite shape. I love them, I think there is a cool stigma about them

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Bulldogs have the rugged look yet still would look great at a dinner party of nobility. I have several Bulldogs and Rodesians have the same draw for me. They are my favorite shape of all the pipes I own and I am glad I have a few. My collection will be growing as PAD is expected and this shape will continue to rule my PAD. Although it doesn't hurt to add a few other shapes to my collection.

2012-04-04160542.jpg

2012-03-28230734.jpg

scottyb

Might Stick Around
Feb 6, 2012
I too have been wanting a bulldog and I've decided to make it my first expensive(since all mine have been below $35.) pipe. Just need to save the funds. Nice one!

vodomagoo

Lurker
Mar 15, 2012
It's almost a perfect shape for me, love the brebbia. Every time I goto there store I check them out looks like I might need to pull the trigger soon on one

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Very nice pipe, my friend. I don't care much for the small straight bulldogs, but the squat bulldogs and Rhodesians have a good feel and I like the way they smoke. Looking to add a Peterson 999 or 80s to my stable soon.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
by some of the pipe shape charts I've seen, that pipe would be called a rhodesian.
call it a bulldog or a rhodesian, they're one of my favorite shapes too.
and it's a beaut, I really like diamond shanks.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I have a Peterson 80s in a Donegal Rocky (rusticated) finish. I think it is absolutely the most comfortable pipe I own: mouth feel, in the hand, weight and balance. The downsides for me: won't easily pass a pipe cleaner, and the draw is wide open, so it takes some getting used to.

It is a very good smoker.

DSCN0460.jpg

Jul 15, 2011
Bulldogs are my Achilles Heel when it comes to pipe shapes. I am currently in possession of 4 and am dying to own more. I wish my camera was operational or I would post some pictures of the bulldogs that I have in my collection. Ill see if I can get it working here in a day or two and hopefully have some pics up.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Hey thanks guys for posting some pictures of your dogs. I love seeing them. Oh now I remember Herbinedave your the one responsible for getting me checking out the Brebbias. I liked that little Go-Go pipe the moment I saw it.
I'm totally sure now that at some point I will have to add a Peterson bulldog to my collection. I'm with you JC I could see myself with that Chris Askwith sandblast.
I'd love to see your bulldogs Pipe Novelist once you've got your camera back online.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Not gonna lie, I have been clicking back to this post again and again and again, is that the PAD beast I hear lurking in the distance?
I really love that pipe man, its super sweet, lots of good grain in it too, I love birds eye

Status
Not open for further replies.