PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Just thinking about trying my luck at some chew tobacco now that pipe tobacco is no longer able to be imported to NZ.

Any recommendations from what’s available at 4noggins or cupojoes?

I normally frequent Smokingpipes but am conscious that they only label as pipe tobacco regardless of intended use, which means straight into the naughty bin at customs.

Also, stupid question, can ropes/plugs be use interchangeably between pipes and chew? I’m assuming they traditionally were.

Chur

Reactions: anotherbob

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Just thinking about trying my luck at some chew tobacco now that pipe tobacco is no longer able to be imported to NZ.

Any recommendations from what’s available at 4noggins or cupojoes?

I normally frequent Smokingpipes but am conscious that they only label as pipe tobacco regardless of intended use, which means straight into the naughty bin at customs.

Also, stupid question, can ropes/plugs be use interchangeably between pipes and chew? I’m assuming they traditionally were.

Chur
Ropes/twists are what you are looking for. I chew on Brown Bogie from time to time.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
King B? Cotton Boll Twist?
Days O’ Work? ?
? It’s “Day’s Work,” the little “o” is just part of the logo’s design.

Not sure what’s available to you. As mentioned, there are plugs and ropes that are for both chewing and smoking, but the question is are they going to be available?

There is American style chewing tobacco. Don’t know what its availability is there.
When I was chewing, I used to chew Levi Garrett. But then I started getting pouches that had way more stems than previously, and even grit. Like it was swept up off the floor. Switched to Red Man (original and Golden Blend). Eventually went back to Levi Garrett, because I liked the taste better, and it was fine - no stems or grit - but then I quit chewing altogether shortly after that.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I don’t know what’s available online, because I live in the Land of the Free, baby!

However, I’ve chewed some Gawith Hogarth ropes, and they’re pretty good. Not the same as American “chaw” like Red Man or Levi Garrett, but pretty good. Similar to what the old timers in my region used to chew.

Caveat Emptor: if you feel any nicotine effect from smoking a pipe, start very small with chaw.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
If you are limited by weight as to what you can bring in from outside NZ, you may want to think about snuff as well. You can get a quite a bit of product and it's lower weight than dip, snus or chewing tobacco.

EDIT I top-lip CC and FVF. CC is really tasty. Both are sweet like an Oliver Twist.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Thanks for the responses so far.

Yes I was originally thinking along the lines of GH Twists. The main issue is obviously securing a consistent supply. I will probably just have to order from UK instead.

I do have some snus, snuff and chew on hand, but if I’m honest I prefer smoking a pipe.

The new regs still allow for the importing of cigars and all smokeless forms of tobacco, so I was kind of wondering about ordering stuff which could be used/labelled for chew and then just processing it for smoking.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Thanks for the responses so far.

Yes I was originally thinking along the lines of GH Twists. The main issue is obviously securing a consistent supply. I will probably just have to order from UK instead.

I do have some snus, snuff and chew on hand, but if I’m honest I prefer smoking a pipe.

The new regs still allow for the importing of cigars and all smokeless forms of tobacco, so I was kind of wondering about ordering stuff which could be used/labelled for chew and then just processing it for smoking.
Is whole-leaf tobacco on the naughty list?

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I've seen D&R Picayune "cigars" that might fit the bill. I think I've seen other blends packaged like that too. You could just empty them and load up your pipe.

Reactions: mityahicks

mityahicks

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 18, 2018
You could also cut up various dark fired cigars. They do just fine in a pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.