PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ray Popp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 14, 2022
I mean... with this latest Gawith drop, the product arrived at your door really, really fresh from the factory. What would the difference be between being tinned at Gawith or being shipped to your door and then moved to a jar? Maybe a couple of weeks? As long as you're filling up the jars, I don't see it being that different from tins in the long run. That's how I look at it anyway.
I'm on the same fence with Peterson314 ... a blending house is going to mix or blend all of the tobaccos in the mix (or blend) and then either package the stuff or press it again for further flavor development. So, you get a 1 lb. box (inside is some sort of sealed container) of tobacco and what do you do? Loose tobacco gets stuffed into a round tin with a paper (coffee filter'ish) liner and the lid is twisted down tight and a seal is formed against a vinyl seal, right? Except for the paper, when one stuffs lose tobacco into a jar and seals it, they are doing much the same thing except the seal is more rubber like than vinyl. BTW, lose tobacco is stuffed rather tightly into those tins, possibly to exclude as much air as possible. Might we do the same with our jars? Coins come loose in the tin, pretty much the same when putting them into a jar, the same with flakes. I've never bought plug tobacco, so I'm uncertain how that goes regarding putting that into a jar ...

Anyway, when we put an 8 oz or 1 lb bulk purchase into jars, especially with loose tobacco, are we not doing much the same as the packagers do when they put 50g or 2 oz of tobacco in a tin?

Ohhhh, I wish that I could have some dried SG delivered to my door. Then maybe I could smoke it right away, instead of having to microwave it, let it set out for a week, and then put a hair drier on it for a few hours, and then put it in the over at 300F for two more days before smoking it... turning what started out as 8oz of sopping wet tobacco into 4oz of usable tobacco. puffy