Bulging Can of Granger - Is This Grangerous?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Let me pose a serious question for a change.

I am cellaring Mucho Granger and obtaining same wherever I can find it...
D599DBA7-ED18-4E95-812A-EF4D4550D873.jpeg
The can in the photo is one of two that I scored in a tobacco shop. It’s old stock and I spotted them stored on the top shelf of the walk-in cigar humidor, as evidenced by the rusty lower rims.

This particular can is literally bursting to be opened and smoked!

Perhaps “bulging” is the more appropriate term. Observe how the top of this can is bulging?
17CBF978-9ACC-4913-AA0B-EFF22B48FF37.jpeg
The can on the left in this photo.

I have heard that is a sign of a well aged specimen. Although I place this can at maybe 2014? My best guess... it’s STG, not Pinkerton.

I’m finishing up a can and I plan to open and jar this one to smoke next.

Hence, my serious question: Has anyone ever experienced this with a tobacco tin, tub or can?

I certainly wouldn’t eat a bulging can of peaches or Army C-ration or heaven forbid, castor beans. A bulging can of these an indicator of botulism or in the case of the latter, Ricin? Anthrax? (A bad day...)

But if it’s indeed a sign of an ultra tasty ?aged yummy tobacco! I’m all set!

Comments?

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
With VA blends that can mean good things due to fermentation but I honestly don’t know with a burley blend? I’d probably open it next and find out. If it smells good smoke it and if not sprinkle it on the garden for aphid control.

I think the odds are decent that it’s aged nicely and will be tastier than usual, but who knows.

For whatever it’s worth all the bulging tins like that I’ve opened (other blends) have been outstanding.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Funk
Serious inquiry. When I open an aged mason jar, the lid is often difficult to lift off because the aging tobacco creates a suction.

That’s the opposite of a bulge where pressure is building.

Weird science?

Maybe you're seeing two different things. Maybe the can is growing something, and the mason Jar thing is from a temperature differential between the air inside and the air outside the jar.

Status
Not open for further replies.