PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I believe that some of the "benefits" of the pyrolitic graphite and brylon pipes was that they needed no breaking in, required no cake and could be cleaned in the sink.

archangel

Lurker
Jun 2, 2017
California
I looked at my pipe again under a strong light. It has wood grain on the top of the bowl, and under the shank. and all though out the pipe. it is very light not heavy. Brand new, it had a thin layer of black chalky lining inside the bowl. When I flick it with my fingernail, its sounds like my other wood bowls. It just looks like plastic at times so I get confused. SO now I am thinking it really is wood and not brylon. I heard that a good cake layer, improved the taste and one should maintain a thickness of a dime to nickel. Thats why I was interested in the cake layer in the first place. Also I read in another thread about brylons, that nobody ever saw a brylon with wood grain. Sorry about all my newbi stuff, but you guys are great and helpful. Jpmcwjr, thanks for the photo upload info. 8)

archangel

Lurker
Jun 2, 2017
California
Also I just want to add for clarity, that the pipe was only $12 bucks. Which made me believe it was maybe plastic or something like that. :roll:

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I have seen plastic pipes with wood grain painted on them, but not very often. As to cake, many prefer to keep some cake in their briars to insulate the pipe and sweeten the smoke, others don't keep any cake in their pipes at all.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've never built cake in my pipes. I scoop out the ash, wipe out the chamber with a piece of paper towel or paper napkin, do the pipe cleaner, and polish off the whole pipe briar and stem. This maintains a thin carbon layer sufficient to protect the chamber and flavor. I don't have to ream the pipes, so I don't own a reamer. Some of my pipes go back about forty years and they do well with this regime. Many enjoy building cake and wouldn't do without it and the necessary reaming. It's a matter of preference. I'd say about 25% of Forums members don't build cake. So suit yourself.

archangel

Lurker
Jun 2, 2017
California
Testing Commenting. For some reason, commenting is turned off on my Facebook timeline, and in my private group I created, so I'm testing this forum as well. Nobody need respond to this comment.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Another thought -- I wonder if cake building doesn't amplify ghosting. It's possible that a thick cake of ash would retain more flavor than a thin carbon layer. Since I don't build cake, and never have, I'm not in a position to test this, but it seems possible.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
The question here is why would you bother? Brylon is the butt of all jokes only to be closely followed by my personal loathing of Falcon Pipes. Perhaps if Falcon introduced a Brylon bowl into the Falcon range they will have filled every gap in the crap pipe market! :rofl:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
condorlover, if Brylon pipes are not good tobacco pipes, they must be a brilliant marketing scheme since they have been peddling them in volume (granted at very low prices per pipe) for about fifty years now. The member who does the fire damage restoration work swears by Brylon for dirty, greasy, ashy conditions, since the pipes can be scrubbed clean and don't crack or mar easily. I suspect they sell a steady number to beginners who just don't know about pipes and think Brylon is the standard material. Still, it doesn't sound right that the sales can be sustained strictly on first-time pipe buyers. I've been puzzling over this for years. 'Never bought a Brylon pipe, however.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
In my most humble opinion I wouldn't worry about building cake. In any pipe. It seems people spend six months trying to figure out how to get it, then six months trying to figure out how to get rid of it. :rofl:

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Ok something's really wrong with me. I read all these negative reviews about brylon pipes, and now I'm one click away from ordering one...
I like the durability aspect. I just bought a new fishing pole, and I could use a permanent tackle box pipe, other than a cob. Hm...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
saintpeter, that's my instinct about building cake. I started scouring out the bowl with a paper towel or paper napkin, thinking I might explore cake building later, but the thin carbon layer, and no cake, worked so well, I just kept at it. Grinding down the inside of the bowl with a reamer doesn't attract me in any way. But if you savor building cake, I won't argue against it. I'm happy with my no-cake method, as are a number of Forums members.
The Brylon pipes remain a mystery to me, how sales are sustained, but they are. So I'm always interested to hear someone take up a Brylon pipe, which explains their continuing sales. didi', if you pack one in your tackle box, tell us how it works out.
I think this may be the longest Brylon thread we've ever had on Forums. Serious evaluation.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I am surprised that the company has not marketed a Brylon tamper or even Brylon Colt 45 pistol grips. How about a Brylon coffin for your deceased dog/cat. The uses are endless and I am sure the dude who invented Redmanol had a similar feeling. Get the wife a Brylon marital aid to liven up your marriage, Brylon coffee tables or phone cases! :rofl:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
condor, I know you're jiving, but it's a good point; I wonder if there are other Brylon products by other names, or if it is just of limited use. Medico and Yello-Bole are the main purveyors of Brylon pipes -- anyone else? On some sites, those brands are offered only in Brylon, though they both make some briar pipes. I think the Brylon pipes are all made in New York State.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's more the business model that mystifies me. A thousand other pipe patents have been tried and faded, and some have even made money, but then gone their way. But Brylon, like the pipes themselves, seem indestructible. Someone, quite a few, are buying these and presumably smoking them several times. Some are buying more than one. If you have even a bit of marketing curiosity, this is fascinating.

Status
Not open for further replies.