PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

archangel

Lurker
Jun 2, 2017
California
I am a new pipe smoker started in Feb of 2017. I have one Briar, one Meerschaum, one pear bowl and one Brylon. When I bought the brylon, the clerk said it was wood, but on close inspection, it looked more plastic than not, so I researched it and found out what it really was and infused with wood powder. I never tasted plastic and it seems to burn nice and slow without frequent lights. So I am now burning a cake layer in it. As a novice pipe smoker, I really can't tell a big difference between it and my pear bowl. The more I smoke my brylon the better it smokes. I am wondering if you guys have any brylons and if building a nice cake will improve the taste. I use it as my hanger since it has a short stem. Tried to post an image but I guess I don't have the image code thing down lol

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I had a yello bole brylon years ago when I first started, but man that thing got hot!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The bum rap on Brylon is that it is heavy for the size pipe and often burns so hot you can't hold it by the bowl. I've never heard cake-building discussed related to Brylon, so the floor is open on that one. We do have several Brylon smokers on Forums. The most enthusiastic is a professional fire damage restoration contractor, and he values his Brylon pipes for being indestructible and impermeable to the grease, ash, and dust of his work sites, so that makes a lot of sense. The other strong point is that Brylon pipes are, along with cobs, the least expensive pipes made and they last forever, much longer than most people choose to smoke them. So I'd ask you to keep smoking that Brylon in rotation and keep us posted on how it performs and whether cake is a good way to go. I foresee a problem with reaming it, since you could ream the cake, but if you hit the Brylon, I think it might weaken the material or wreck the reamer. You might just treat it like a Meerschaum and wipe it out after each smoke and don't try to build cake. Let us know how it works for you. You might even sell a few Brylon pipes to members. And be thick-skinned about this since you'll get some teasing about Brylon. I think people's curiosity will supersede their humor on the subject.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Having thought about it, the cake-building and reaming questions might be addressed to one of the manufacturers of Brylon pipes. I would think they have a doctrine on it. Do you build cake? Do you ream? If you can get a contact number, they would likely have answers.

archangel

Lurker
Jun 2, 2017
California

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Put the image URL between "[ img ]" and "[ /img ]". Just omit the spaces between the brackets and the quotation marks.

archangel

Lurker
Jun 2, 2017
California
Thanks Chasing. Yes it does get hot, but I use it as a hanger, touching the bowl as little as possible. I still have a lot to learn. 8)

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I'm curious to know why you are keen for your pipe to develop a layer of cake. Do you foresee some benefit in so doing?
The only reason I can think is that if the brylon pipe starts to taste weird then building a cake might reduce that weird taste. I have two brylon pipes but I've never smoked them for fear of ingesting yet more poisons into my system.
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Here's the problem: the image is on your desktop: ...users/angeldefuego/Desktop/Photo%.....jpg
You need to upload it to a hosting site, either here, or a third party host. I'd recommend omitting any spaces as well.
This is how to add photos to your post using the site's photo album:
Images tend to be smaller than hosting site's size, but can be full sized if you remove the pixel limitation, -600x360)— the numbers and the dash preceding, leaving no spaces, and ending in .jpg
1.) Login

2.) Go to My Account (may have hit Home button first) and mouse down to Album.

3.) Choose Upload Picture (navigate to photo you've given a sensible name to), be sure to then hit Upload.

4.) Go back to Album, click on thumbnail to open full size image. Right click (Windows); Control Click (Mac) and select "copy image location" (its URL).

5.) Return to your reply window in the thread and click on the IMG button at the top of the compose window.

7.) Paste the image location into the window and click OK. (You can paste over the existing http://)
An example, of a thumbnail named "hms-penzance-1940" followed by -150x100.jpg is the name of the photo in my album, and the the -150x100 limits the size.

hms-penzance-1940-150x100.jpg

If I remove the numbers, it goes to whatever size at which it was uploaded, subject to web sized image limitations.
hms-penzance-1940.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
It was. We donated it to the Royal Navy in 1938. It was SS Virginia then, but the Admiralty renamed her HMS Penzance. Really too large for our Vermont lake....

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nonsense yes, but it sounds like a toast: " Here's to cake in your Brylon!"

Status
Not open for further replies.