Buffalo, NY or Western New York Pipe Clubs?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dojomatic

Lurker
Jul 2, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I've tried searching online, but haven't come up with anything. So, does anyone know if there is a pipe club anywhere near the Buffalo area?

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
None that I know of but then I've not really looked all that hard. Do you live in Buffalo proper? PM me if you want to keep that info private...
-Jason
*EDIT* - added...

smokinjoe

Lurker
Jul 22, 2011
I live near Rochester and there is only one Tobacconist in the whole area (and they're all the way on the east side), so I highly doubt that there are too many pipe smokers around here. I'm the only one I've ever seen... :(

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Only one? Not sure you're right about that... OK, Dewey Ave has the best selection but Havana House sometimes has good blends in and their bulk is mostly Mac Baren and Stokkebye, so you really can't complain there. Tony's is more of a cigar joint but he's also the only one carrying Lane blends. You've also only been at for a couple of weeks. I've been smoking for over a year now and have only come across a HANDFUL of pipe smokers here. PM me. We'll meet up and have a smoke. But not today. It's too wet.
-Jason

smokinjoe

Lurker
Jul 22, 2011
well then! Glad to know that. Yea Havana House was the east side shop I was referring to. I haven't been to Dewey yet mostly because there are many "Smoke Shops" around that area that I checked out, only to learn that it wasn't tobacco they were interested in smoking!

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Dewey Ave is THE pipe place here. Their prices are better than the other guys and they have a great (albeit mainly Altadis) bulk selection. They're a bit of a drive from the eats side but worth it IMO... FWIW, Westside Smokeshop on Lyell had some Stokkebye blends for $2-ish an ounce a few months back. Might also be worth checking out...
-Jason

smokinjoe

Lurker
Jul 22, 2011
Well excellent! Thanks for the info! Before I bought my first pipe I went around to a lot of the smoke shops around that area but I was disheartened when most of them only carried, um, paraphernalia... gotta love Rochester.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Gotcha. Well, it looks like you have (at least) two BOTB (Brothers of the Briar) not TOO far away in the ROC. Let us know if you find anything.
-Jason

corvinvelegost

Might Stick Around
May 1, 2012
I know this thread is over half a year old but i figured ide let it be known that there is a good number of pipe smokers in the Finger Lakes, including myself (i live about 20 minutes from Canandaigua on one of the smaller lakes). Most of them are old timers that cram drugstore brands into cheap cobs while they fish (not hating on them at all, they enjoy it which is what matters and it was one of them that got me into pipes). I wish they would open a tobacconist in Canandaigua (the two smoking related shops are far more cannabis and hookah themed) which would be a much easier drive for me than Rochester.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Yeah. Most "smoke-shop" either cater to cigars or the other kind of "pipe" smokers. I'd hate to have to travel too far but it must especially suck from Canandaigua.
-Jason

misu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 30, 2013
Yes, this thread is old. But I'm a "newbie" pipe smoker. And newbie here. This is my first post :]

I bought my first pipe, a Briar wood pipe, from Virgil Avenue Tobacconist on Virgil Ave (off of Hertal Ave) in North Buffalo. They have a pipe tobacco tasting (?) the last Monday of each month. They are very cool people. I think they own the head shop next door. I'm not into that and the two are completely separate as I saw no such paraphernalia there. I plan on going as soon as I am comfortable in smoking a pipe in front of people. I'm an old woman and don't want to look foolish or naive while smoking.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Misu, I'm from Toronto but was visiting Buffalo in late january. In my opinion Smokers Haven in West Seneca is far more pipe friendly. They're pipe selection was large and bulk tobacco was at least 3 times bigger than Virgil. They also had a decent tin selection. Virgil was ok, and the guys were definitely nice, but Smokers Haven definitely had better pipe inventory. Also the owner is a pipe maker, perhaps you could commision one to suit your tastes.

misu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 30, 2013
The guys at Virgil spoke very highly of Smoker's Haven. I probably live closer to Smoker's Haven, but I'm so new to this, I just haven't had the chance to go there yet. I will. I especially would like to see if they have a tobacco tasting night and if so, when. I'll post it here if/when I find out.

I do want to go there and check out their pipe selection. I hear they make really nice pipes too :)

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I almost bought one but my daughter talked me in to a 1981 GBD that was pretty amazing. They easily had 30 different blends and also had a smoking lounge, although much smaller than Virgil's. It is a fantastic little shop.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Looks like I should make a trip to West Seneca before too long. Thanks for the tip!
-Jason

misu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 30, 2013
I almost bought one but my daughter talked me in to a 1981 GBD that was pretty amazing. They easily had 30 different blends and also had a smoking lounge, although much smaller than Virgil's. It is a fantastic little shop.

I will have to make the opportunity to go. They have cigars there too. That will make hubby happy.

Okay, I'm a real newbie. I went to the terminology link and didn't find GBD. So, I'm guessing it's a brand. Is it a good brand or a preferred brand? Maybe that question is answered in another thread.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
It's a brand that sees a lot of folks trying to collect, I believe they were much better prior to 1981 in terms of quality but they seem to be a desirable English brand. They do have cigars there and the prices are decent on those with a pretty good selection. Between Virgil Ave and Smoker's Haven, Virgil is for cigar lovers and Smokers Haven is for pipe lovers. Here is the GBD my daughter picked out for me.
20130128_225800_zpsdb4f4cce.jpg

misu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 30, 2013
Nice! Your daughter has good taste :)

That came from Smoker's Haven?

Status
Not open for further replies.