SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Apr 25, 2022
Im a flyfishing, wood working ,pipe smoking retired Wooden Objects Conservator over 50 years in clock case restorations and even restored one of George Washington’s tallcase clocks for his favorite nephew Augustine.

Ive 15-20 pipes to display and have just enjoyed taking up the pipe again especially reading this forum’s puffings!

When next antiquing , try to find an old Vienna wall case usually 40-46 inches long . It will save many hours trying to build a repro. Without the movement the case seems worthless but not to a pipe aficionado.

Bet you can get it for a song,I paid $50 . About 4inches depth ,with side glasses it would be easy to design custom shelving to retrofit .

The “Gustav Bechler “ Vienna style seen here , is ideal ,usually have ornate turned ornamentation and a keyed locked door.

Lit with a motion detection battery lamp like Beams Item MB860 at MR beams .com in brown, would match the wood,and activate when approaching the case to choose your next armchair companion.
Cheers 94436271-AF31-45D5-B28D-B7B0B16DC06D.jpeg

Reactions: ofafeather
Man, that is a fine idea. I like the way you think. I make strange pipes and display bases to mount them on. Typically just an interesting chunk of wood/bark coated with satin or flat poly, then with a half dozen or so tiny holes that I slip brass wire into. The pipes slide over the wires, head up, abreast. That would work perfectly with the clock case.