PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Although I could not find anything specific to their pipes, I was able to determine that Brooks Brothers was offering "House Brand" pipe tobacco as early as 1940. There is nothing definitive but I would suspect the two offerings probably coincided. During that period a pipe would have been viewed as a "Gentleman's Accessory" and up-scale models would have fit well into Brooks Brothers merchandising. I could find nothing prior to that date but that of course does not mean it wasn't available, only that there appears to be no record of it. WWII interrupted supplies of briar to English makers and Continental suppliers were in the hands of German occupation so "Private Label" pipe making was limited if at all. I'd say late 40s early 50s seems like a pretty good guess.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
For what it's worth, I pinged a couple guys earlier this evening who have been in the pipe biz for a very long time, and neither had seen a Brooks Brothers pipe in the flesh.
Based on the thread so far, i think glousterman's summary is probably spot-on.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Guys:
I've read somewhere down through the years - sorry, can't put my finger on it right now - that the leading U.K. pipe companies made private label stamped brands for Disney, L.L. Bean, etc. Comoy's, GBD, Sasieni and Charatan come to mind. (The football stamp has me leaning towards Comoy's but that's just me shooting nickel craps in the alley.)
L.L. Bean burners still get top dollar on the secondary and tertiary market so either the cachet is strong or they really were made by one of the top houses.
You made a good buy, Soshoresig, and that pipe will appeal to BB collectors and pipe enthusiasts both.
I hope it smokes well.
Fnord

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I've read somewhere down through the years - sorry, can't put my finger on it right now - that the leading U.K. pipe companies made private label stamped brands for Disney, L.L. Bean, etc. Comoy's, GBD, Sasieni and Charatan come to mind.
Yep, Charatan, among others, made pipes for Disney. I suspect that most of the top department stores had tobacco departments in the dim distant past. I have a Bloomingdales pipe.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I believe that the reason that tobacco departments no longer exist is due to increased awareness of the considerable hazards of pipe smoking.
To underscore this point I offer three images of Peck.
The first image was taken around the time that Peck began smoking a pipe. As you can see, he was quite the specimen.
ca51I2z.jpg

But after six months some subtle changes began to become undeniably apparent in Peck's physical appearance. Pipe smoking has been linked to a loss of male sexual functioning.
IvajZg0.jpg

And after a year, the changes became somewhat more pronounced.
LdodWAr.jpg

I can't bring myself to share more recent photos, but you get the general idea.

soshoresig

Lurker
Dec 8, 2015
Thank you for all the replies. I spent quite a bit of time searching thru the net looking for info on this pipe and came up with very little. Greetings Gloucesterman I am a fellow Masshole and actually bought the pipe from a woman in Gloucester who said it was her grandfathers. Been doing lots of reseaech on restoring pipes and seems within my capabilities but dont think I'll use this pipe in my learning curve

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
North Central Florida
soshoresig,

That pipe looks to be a very good quality pipe that will be a nice smoker after a good thorough cleaning.

Either get one of the guys from here on the forum to clean and refurbish it, or read about various methods and do it yourself.

Be gentle with getting that dirt from the lip end of the stem. I found out that it doesn't take much sometimes, to break that part when you're digging at that crap/sludge with a screwdriver.

Aug 14, 2012
I have not so nice story about Brooks. Years ago I bought a leather jacket there. They said I would get 20% off if I accepted one of their credit cards. I did. When I moved I forgot to send them a change of address and didn't get the bill and pay it for a few months. They cancelled the card and ruined my credit rating. I do not really need a high credit rating, so it has not messed me up. I know it was my fault. But who would want to buy from a retailer who kicks you when you make one error? The whole gentlemanly veneer drops and they become savages. Brooks Brothers charges about double what things are worth. So when they run a 50% off sale, the prices are about right. I can live without them.

Status
Not open for further replies.