PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Chris Chopin, also know as flatticus, passed away in October unexpectedly.
While controversial to some, a bowl in his honor should be considered. May he rest in peace!
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/palmbeachpost/obituary.aspx?pid=186935459

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Controversial for sure, but I really enjoyed his knowledge and wit. Learned a lot from him regarding pipes and tobacco. Very sad.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Lots of drama and strangeness surrounding his death:
https://medium.com/@kevinsarpei/about-the-death-of-twitter-user-actualflatticus-aka-alan-smithee-5b1952eb5330

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
WoW, Very Sad News, I was just thinking about him the other day. I didn't know him in person but I spent a lot of time with him online over the years and we got along well. He was quite the student of pipes and had an impressive collection of pipes and ephemera that I only saw on video chats. RIP

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Having had extensive email and PM exchanges with Chopin, I can tell you that he was quite intelligent, had a lawyer's brain and was moderately to severely unhinged. I admired some of his personality characteristics, but his lack of empathy, sympathy and ability to engage socially, while it made him the perfect divorce attorney, must have made his personal life difficult for him.
RIP, Chris Chopin.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
A sad loss to someone or other. Its a shame the offer did not extend to 'BOGO' as there are one or two other citizens of the sunshine state that might have improved the world by joining him on a little journey across the River Styx who have said less than pleasant things about SToP products!

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Mmmm...let's show a little kindness on this thread...just because...Many of us have faults to varying degrees....and everyone's passing is mourned by the people in their lives....

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
Oh jesus. I setup his website for him. He was in the middle of updating the content I put on the site for him: http://www.cchopin.com/wp
No wonder I hadn't heard from him lately.
Here is a picture of us back in 2015

fYtqSBW.png

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Condor,

That’s the most disgusting thing I’ve read in this community. A pipesmoker who mentored and started MANY people into the hobby has passed away. Sometimes the best said words are none at all, especially in cases like this.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I've deleted a couple of comments to keep this thread going in the spirit intended by the OP...

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
Man, this is quite a shock. I haven't spoken with Chris for a good while, but to find out that he's passed away four months after the fact makes me feel pretty terrible. I can say without reservations that, on a personal level, Chris was a really good guy. I never had a problem getting along with him. However, it was sometimes hard to reconcile the guy that I knew the persona that interacted publicly online. He was passionate about both pipes and his opinions and sometimes that passion turned into something ugly. I know that he made no new friends when he caused a stink around here a while back, but I would hope that we could all forgive, forget, and lament the passing of another fellow pipe man.

Status
Not open for further replies.