PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
I've been away from the beloved briars and cobs for a while and have just recently seen the light and returned. I am deeply saddened to see that McClelland is no more and some Dunhills are extinct as well. I see that Peterson has picked up most, but not all of the Dunhill line - fortunately! This is old news to most here. I'm probably experiencing what you all did when the news hit.
So - are any of the existing superb pipe tobacco makers picking up and re-blending any of the many fine blends we all surely would love to get our mitts on??? Seems like there is now plenty of new potential offerings for the likes of GLP and others make.
just my 2c

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
So - are any of the existing superb pipe tobacco makers picking up and re-blending any of the many fine blends we all surely would love to get our mitts on???
As for McClelland no. I learned decades ago to let go of lost blends and find new ones to love. Do you know about the upcoming FDA deeming?

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Yeah, it's quite the bummer. Unfortunately, the McClelland blends are gone and won't be coming back from everything I've read. Some of the Dunhills have come back, and maybe we'll get more back if the first releases do well and there is demand. Good news is that Pease and C&D still seem to thrive. The Gawiths are still kicking and doing well. MacBaren has come out with some great blends in their HH line. And there are smaller blenders like Watch City doing some great things. While I haven't tried them yet, a lot of the folks here rave about HU brand, which is out of Germany, I think. So, at least as far as I'm concerned, there is still plenty to try and enjoy.

Reactions: Casual and Bowie

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Which blends are you lamenting losing the most? For many, there are no direct replacements, but there are quite a few fine substitutes out there if you're okay with getting "most of the way there". You may even find some blends you like better than the originals. This forum is a great resource for recommendations.

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
Two amazing McClelland's tat come to mind are Old Dog and Scottish Woods. Not a lot of Scottish blends out there. Actually, 965 is a very different animal, but still scratches that itch.
Yep - aware of the asinine FDA dark cloud. As a cigar person, it has had an impact there as well. Interesting that DC is one of 5 states/districts that have no state sales tax on cigars. Not sure about pipe tobacco. Figures that those who are so ardently supporting the FDA in it's seeking are the same ones that enjoy that perk.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
C&D has done exemplary blending with burley continuing from about twenty years ago and on through its purchase by Smoking Pipes. Seattle Pipe Club still has a fine set of blends on the market. Briar Works has a striking blend, Country Lawyer, that is done with artistry, and maybe others I haven't tried. There are good new blends, and some stalwart old ones, that can be discovered with considerable satisfaction. McClellands won't be back, but there is still plenty of their product around, if you have it, or if you are willing to pay a premium. The Belgium burley variant Tabac-Manil Semois is well worth trying, if you have a taste for it. It is one of my favorites. There is still plenty out there, though you may have to work harder to find the blends you especially like. I wouldn't overlook bulk and pouch or tub blends. Some of these are as good as premium tinned blends, and some are decidedly moderately priced.

Status
Not open for further replies.