Broke Shank From The Bowl... Help Me Find Good Glue!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I tried to return to pipes, bought few samplers of Sam Gawith tobacco, dug up my old pipe (one of two left when I stopped smoking pipes and donated all others to my friend).
It's Dr.Grabow Commodore 36 with screw-in stem, and when trying to align it - broke the shank of the bowl:(

It's a clean break, so gluing should leave no visual marks (it's heavy blasted), but I need to know which glue will tolerate heat and moisture. Normal PVA wood glue failed at the end of a first bowl (I suspected it, but still wanted to try as I couldn't find the other pipe, and it was the only wood glue I had at the moment).

CA (superglues) aren't heat tolerant, they fail when heated and might not like heavy moisture (and off-gassing... I don't want to smoke CA!), epoxies usually also don't like high temp, and in this case, it is very thin glue joint.

So my thoughts are either special wood glue (Titebond D4 is available in my country) or some contact cement.

Just to know, I'm really low on money now, so buying a new pipe is off the table, and I don't think I'll find pipe repairmen in my country. Besides, I have a lot of experience working with wood, so I think I can handle this with a right adhesive for the job.

It was my favorite pipe for Latakia blends, so any help appreciated!

Reactions: lightmybriar

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Ah. Wow that broke right at the stummel! I’m nowhere near being experienced enough to give advice.

That said, the pipe doctors should be along shortly with advice ?

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
I'd recommend trying a catalyzed gel of some sort. But, for longer term success, you'll need to do something "mechanical" to hold things together. Recommend you try drilling some small holes into the break so the glue can form "fingers" that hold the two parts together. I fear just butting the two pieces back together won't hold for very long. You could also try some type of pins, but indexing them would be a nightmare. If you want to try pins, bamboo makes the best pins -- its tensile strength is greater than steel and it takes glue really well. But, indexing will take some master craftsmanship.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Hang about on the forum. Someone will probably send you a spare. I am afraid I have nothing I can offer you since most of my stuff is ancient. Anyone here got a spare cob for this fellow?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Do you have access to this?

c4cf6d6f-bd40-4223-bd88-55b20affec85

Reactions: bnichols23
I'd recommend trying a catalyzed gel of some sort. But, for longer term success, you'll need to do something "mechanical" to hold things together. Recommend you try drilling some small holes into the break so the glue can form "fingers" that hold the two parts together. I fear just butting the two pieces back together won't hold for very long. You could also try some type of pins, but indexing them would be a nightmare. If you want to try pins, bamboo makes the best pins -- its tensile strength is greater than steel and it takes glue really well. But, indexing will take some master craftsmanship.
Pins idea sounds nice, actually. Might actually do few pins. But what glue? I don't understand what you're referring to as "catalized gel", I might not be able to buy it cheap/in small quantity:(

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
That sucks. If you can't come up with a proper adhesive, don't throw it away. If you opened the hole in the bowl and turned or whittled the stem to fit into it fairly tightly, then wood glue might work fine. Might not be pretty, and it would be shorter, but it would smoke fine.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
So my thoughts are either special wood glue (Titebond D4 is available in my country) or some contact cement.
Is Titebond III Ultimate Wood Glue available near you? All of our big box hardware stores carry it. This is what I would use. If it didn't work, I'm sure I could use it on another project.

Titebond® III ultimate wood glue is the first one-part, water cleanup wood glue that is proven to be waterproof. The waterproof formula passes the ANSI/HPVA type I water-resistance specification and offers superior bond strength, longer open assembly time and lower application temperature. It is nontoxic, solvent free and cleans up with water. It provides strong initial tack, sands easily without softening and is FDA approved for indirect food contact, such as cutting boards. The ultimate in wood glues, ideal for both interior and exterior applications.

Is Titebond III Ultimate Wood Glue available near you? All of our big box hardware stores carry it. This is what I would use. If it didn't work, I'm sure I could use it on another project.

View attachment 15437
Titebond® III ultimate wood glue is the first one-part, water cleanup wood glue that is proven to be waterproof. The waterproof formula passes the ANSI/HPVA type I water-resistance specification and offers superior bond strength, longer open assembly time and lower application temperature. It is nontoxic, solvent free and cleans up with water. It provides strong initial tack, sands easily without softening and is FDA approved for indirect food contact, such as cutting boards. The ultimate in wood glues, ideal for both interior and exterior applications.
Yeah, that is exactly what I can buy (reffered to it as Titebond D4, D4 is a type of application for most water resistant joints).

Reactions: scloyd
Pins done...15512

Now a drive to buy some Titebond, water catalized glues sold by 25kg (60ish pounds) here, a little too much for a pipe:)

Status
Not open for further replies.