PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stflorian

Might Stick Around
Jan 16, 2015
There are so many great english estates, and they all bring something a little different to the game. Of those pipes makers, whose stems do you like the best and why?

mycroftholmes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2018
I've found Orlik "hand cut" stems to be the most comfortable and less prone to oxidization than others

witchofthehollow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2018
im not as experienced here, but I tend to like narrower bit, as opposed to wide, since I clench often. Ill have to look into these Sasieni pipes though.. hmm

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
To me, family era Barling, hands down. They used the finest quality German para rubber rod stock, very comfortable, nice "give", very stable wide bits with a deeply funneled wide slot that spread the smoke beautifully. After them, Comoy and Dunhill, followed by Sasieni and Charatan. Shaping on all of these brands was top drawer, but both the Sasieni and Charatan rod stock isn't the same level of quality as Barling, much as I love those makers.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm a fan of Sasieni stems. I only have one Patent era pipe, but I don't see any difference between it and my family era stems. They're are all a little "clicky" on the teeth, which I like. Very similar to Taylor Ashton stems, which area also a favorite. Comoys a close 3rd place.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I'm with you, Sablebrush. Barling. The only trouble is that they're relatively soft, so many estates are kind of chewed-up and it's common for the nomenclature to be completely gone. One thing I love about them is that they get the most beautiful glossy deep black with a bit of buffing.

stflorian

Might Stick Around
Jan 16, 2015
There are a few brands I haven't owned that have been mentioned but they have been added to the "buy" list. How slow do the brands mentioned oxidize? While I love the classic shapes, I have had a few english estates that seem to oxidize badly if you look at them too much.

slowroll

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 25, 2017
I have a couple Charatans that were not badly oxidized and not overly soft. Seem to resist chomping.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Comoy, Comoy and Comoy...love the thin bits. The pre-merger ones, of course. Paper thin between your lips.

stflorian

Might Stick Around
Jan 16, 2015
Sablebrush, is there specific time period for the barlings? I know the general consensus with Comoy, Orlik, and others is pre-merger but I'm not familiar at all with barling history and if certain time periods are better/worse than others.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Sablebrush, is there specific time period for the barlings? I know the general consensus with Comoy, Orlik, and others is pre-merger but I'm not familiar at all with barling history and if certain time periods are better/worse than others.
The most desired pipes are from the family era, which ended in 1962. These can be distinguished by the use of a "BARLING'S MAKE" logo stamped in block letters with the word Barling's arched over the word Make. Excellent pipes continued to be made up though the late 1960's by the successor owners until the Barling factories were closed and production was outsourced. With regard to the stem work, the stems I referred to were in use from 1935 to the closing of the factories. If you want to know more about this maker, check out the Barling page on Pipedia:
https://pipedia.org/wiki/Barling

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
I'm with you, Sablebrush. Barling. The only trouble is that they're relatively soft, so many estates are kind of chewed-up and it's common for the nomenclature to be completely gone.
I like their amount of give but the logo is commonly worn or virtually missing, something my ocd doesn't care for. Only have one Charatan but the double comfort cut is nice and internally it's comparable to any Barling I've encountered.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Two of my recent antique store finds are "Made in England" or "Made in London" pipes. One is a Britannia made by Comoy and the other is a Salmon & Gluckstein made around early 1900. The stems on both are more comfortable then I expected.

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
Unfortunately for me, the only pre-transition Barling I have has a replacement stem. I have several family era Sasienis which all have nice comfortable stems, but the two best I own are my 1949 (birth year) Dunhill and one of my Upshalls.

Status
Not open for further replies.