PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
PS ---

In case anyone thinks I took Peterson to task out of some sort of hostility toward the brand, let me put your mind at ease. It is the exact opposite, in fact.

I have 26 of them including two cased sets, almost all from top lines with lots of silver and some gold. I smoke the absolute crap out of them, and if forced to keep only one brand for some reason and let the rest go, they'd be it.

While it is true that I've tweaked the stems and finishes of most of them, that applies to all but a half dozen pipes in my collection. (Making any pipe I own as good as it can possibly be in every detail a weird little hobby within a hobby that I engage in simply because I can.)

So. There you go. Not a woodshed moment, but an attempt to help. Running a profitable pipe company in the 21st century is doubtless among the most difficult endeavors out there, so figured if the day-to-day concerns have started pushing aside the Big Picture ones, a "third party view" might be useful.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
You’re absolutely right. This was a roughly 180-200$ pipe. No excuse on the stem. Yes they would fix it for free but in months and months and who knows how much better it would be?
It would not have been much different from the original stem , and You would had to have wait for months ,been doing this road more than once and with various facotries, Castello was the most responsive & quick and results weren't that bad(special thanks in assisting go to one of our site sponsor) the worst and turtle slow were Peterson's,but again this was years ago

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
PS ---

In case anyone thinks I took Peterson to task out of some sort of hostility toward the brand, let me put your mind at ease. It is the exact opposite, in fact.
Beautiful pipe and exceptional work on the new stem. I did read your first message to the Peterson corporate leadership as having a helpful and supportive tone, clearly Indicating the importance of maintaining the value of the history and brand. Nonetheless, I also appreciate the clarification on your views the brand.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and BROBS

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Ok, I can forgive you on the fishtale button because you had George keep the chimney (so cool!). I take a tapered stem over the saddle any day, another great choice. Peterson couldn't have close to that stem, so you made the right investment/move. Now it's a lifetime pipe.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Minor update.

After thinking about why Peterson used to put 3 holes though the side of their System aluma-widget-condenser-stinger-thingies, one possible answer was enough to take action.

That possibility was so that the smoker wouldn't draw actual liquid from the condendation chamber into his mouth, drinking straw style. :eek:

It would take pretty hard smoking of something wet plus keeping the pipe fairly still to manage that, but the mere thought of it was enough that BROBS said, "Yeah, drill some holes in that thing. Can't hurt, and might one day prevent my death from uncontrollable vomiting."

Given that getting everything to fit had already put the tip of the widget only about a millimeter from the floor of the condensation chamber, it seemed like the safe move.

Drilling holes like those is closer to watchmaking than pipe repair, but there you go. An incomplete ending to this pipe's story would have bugged me, and drilling itty bitty holes is fun. :col:

P1040584.JPG

Last edited:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm glad you commented on that George, I missed that magnificent little detail. I assumed you had a factory chimney to use!
Those holes would be the pipe equivalent of an air-gap in a commercial drain. In the restaurant industry, we used them to avoid killing people with back-flow (sometimes)....

Here's an old chimney made from bone, that was on a 9BC.

Peterson_9BC_Finish (13).jpg

Minor update.

After thinking about why Peterson used to put 3 holes though the side of their System aluma-widget-condenser-stinger-thingies, one possible answer was enough to take action.

That possibility was so that the smoker wouldn't draw actual liquid from the condendation chamber into his mouth, drinking straw style. :eek:

It would take pretty hard smoking of something wet plus keeping the pipe fairly still to manage that, but the mere thought of it was enough that BROBS said, "Yeah, drill some holes in that thing. Can't hurt, and might one day prevent my death from uncontrollable vomiting."

Given that getting everything to fit had already put the tip of the widget only about a millimeter from the floor of the condensation chamber, it seemed like the safe move.

Drilling holes like those is closer to watchmaking than pipe repair, but there you go. An incomplete ending to this pipe's story would have bugged me, and drilling itty bitty holes is fun. :col:

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I'm glad you commented on that George, I missed that magnificent little detail. I assumed you had a factory chimney to use!
Those holes would be the pipe equivalent of an air-gap in a commercial drain. In the restaurant industry, we used them to avoid killing people with back-flow (sometimes)....

Here's an old chimney made from bone, that was on a 9BC.

View attachment 37727
None of the new chimneys have the holes. Probably to save money.

Status
Not open for further replies.