Brigham Aurora Borealis No Vacuum Seal...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

protestantpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 20, 2013
I just cracked a new tin of Brigham Aurora Borealis, and it was not vacuum sealed. Tobacco is bone dry. I emptied the tin in a bowl and sprayed it with distilled water, let it soak in a bit, and jarred it. Hopefully it comes back. FYI.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I think I would have contacted the retailer I bought it from and gotten either my money back or another tin.

protestantpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 20, 2013
I'll be complaining about it for sure. I figured I would just try to save it if I could. Just a warning to other buyers, as it could indicated a problem.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I'll be complaining about it for sure.
Thanks for the warning, but unless you get another tin of the same tobacco and have the same issue, I consider it a one time occurrence and not indicative of a recurring problem. The breaking of a vacuum seal can happen in shipping due to the freight companies delicate handling of packages or may have been a tin opened for sample and mistakenly shelved as inventory / shipped.
I too, would have tried to save it, but not until after I complained about it. Just my $.02.

protestantpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 20, 2013
Contacted P&C, new tin en-route. This was "months" dry in my opinion. I'm looking forward to trying it fresh.

protestantpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 20, 2013
I promptly received a replacement tin form P&C yesterday, and cracked it open. No problems. Great response.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Pipe tobacco tins, whether "fresh" or "well aged," can lose their seal. Vendors and experienced pipe smokes who have purchased a lot of vacuum sealed tins over the years know this can happen. The law of averages says it'll finally happen to you. Vacuum sealed tins (round and rectangle), are the biggest problem. When shipped by air freight, the change in pressure in unpressurized cargo holds is a big reason for this. But, I have stored vacuum sealed tins 10-15-20 years ago that had lost their vacuum seal just sitting in a climate controlled closet or humidor. Go figure.
As eaglerico said, it's probably a one off occurrence. A smart vendor who wants to keep your business will ship a replacement tin ASAP and I am glad to see your reputable vendor did.
Best,
Pipestud

Status
Not open for further replies.