PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

connolse

Lurker
Feb 20, 2010
I am a regular reader, but I very rarely post. I have come out of my silence in praise of a pipe, and in praise of a kind human being.

My taste in pipes has changed over the years, and that should come as no surprise to the veterans. Lately, I have taken a liking to the Oom Paul shape. I keep telling myself I will buy no more, and then the Peterson Pub Pipe came out, and I found myself with four of them ;-)

I also ran across this wonderful photo, of Oom Pauls from Briarworks:

4f350cc61df88cb94b4de65bddef8b22.jpg

I was immediately taken by the shape. I looked about, but no one seemed to be selling them. I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask the manufacturer if the model was still in production, or if it had been a limited edition. I wasn't holding my breath, since most companies won't respond to private inquiries.

Much to my surprise, I received a reply within minutes. Yes, it was still being produced, but rarely and sporadically. My timing was perfect, as the gentleman I was corresponding with said that a batch was just coming out. Would I be interested in one of them, he asked?

Absolutely!

I wish to thank Brad Emery, who took the time to respond to my message, and who offered absolutely first class customer service by helping me. He didn't just answer my question, but he went above and beyond the call of duty to personally find me the pipe I wanted.

Here it is:

IMG_8562.jpg

It arrived this morning, and I have already smoked two bowls in it. Beautiful open draw, with no gurgle, as can be so common with a bent pipe like this. Cleaner will fit with the usual twist. Incredibly light, and hangs from the jaw with ease.

I love the pipe already, but I am especially moved when I find decent people who go out of their way to be kind and helpful. Brad made my day by showing me that there is more to this world than indifference and resentment. Whoever he is, I tip my hat to him, I raise my glass to him, and fill my new Oom Paul in his honor.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I can understand your enthusiasm. That is somewhat the paradigm of the shape. I have a Savinelli Hercules version of the shape which I like very much, a Christmas gift from my wife I might not have bought for myself, but that is an excellent pipe, much valued. It is great to find someone who appreciates the pipe smoking customer base. The late Bob Hayes, an award winning carver, sold me a pipe at the end of a TAPS pipe show for a fraction of its value, and SP brought a pipe to a pipe show to save me shipping. Forums members have been alarmingly generous, often.

Reactions: JOHN72 and seanv

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I’ve been looking at one of their pipes for a while. Congrats on the pipe and the overall good experience

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
very nice pipes. I have not owned an Oom Paul in decades and, frankly, don't need any new pipes. You have added to to my PAD. Good health and happy smokes.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I had a similar experience with BriarWorks a couple years ago when I was looking for a sandblasted Lovat. I emailed them, got a quick response, and they turned out a batch of c23’s that I was then able to purchase from. Absolutely top notch service, and all my BriarWorks pipes smoke great.

Reactions: AroEnglish

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Briarworks makes amazing shapes. I have this Oom Paul too and it’s my second favorite after my Moonshine Cannonball (made by Briarworks, of course).