PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I posted yesterday about a new pipe I got with a briar stem. Turns out I don't like the mouth feel with the briar as it sucks all the moisture out of my mouth. Pity, because I really like the looks of the pipe, but it has been suggested that I start this post to see if any of you have had the same experience. I'm looking for some tips as to what could be done to alleviate this problem. I haven't tried anything yet, but have been thinking about using chapstick, or mineral oil to coat the bit. I was also wondering if using a polyurethane coating that is well cured might help. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

jaingorenard

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
I would think mineral oil wouldn't make much difference when soaked in, and it can change the colour a bit. Depending on how precious the pipe is to you you could try using clear nail varnish like people do on clays, or alternatively find some similar coloured (or clear? not sure if that exists) plumbers/friction tape.

jhowell

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
You could soak it in a Danish Oil finish and then let it cure - that will stabilize the briar. Then maybe a food safe urethane finish to seal it.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Here's an update on my briar stem Genod. I finally decided to go with some satin finish polyurethane for the stem. It didn't seem to have much of a darkening effect on the stem, so I gave it three coats and let it cure for a week, and just tried smoking it for the first time after the treatment. The mouth feel is so much better, almost what you'd expect a new vulcanite stem to feel like, although I don't think I'll be doing much clenching in the teeth with it. This was an easy fix to the problem of the mouth drying feeling that the unfinished wood felt like. Although I have no idea how the longevity of this finish will be, I hope this helps anyone else looking to try a briar or other wood stem pipe.

Reactions: AroEnglish

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Here's an update on my briar stem Genod. I finally decided to go with some satin finish polyurethane for the stem. It didn't seem to have much of a darkening effect on the stem, so I gave it three coats and let it cure for a week, and just tried smoking it for the first time after the treatment. The mouth feel is so much better, almost what you'd expect a new vulcanite stem to feel like, although I don't think I'll be doing much clenching in the teeth with it. This was an easy fix to the problem of the mouth drying feeling that the unfinished wood felt like. Although I have no idea how the longevity of this finish will be, I hope this helps anyone else looking to try a briar or other wood stem pipe.
Glad you found a solution! Keep us posted on how that finish holds up.

Reactions: agnosticpipe