PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

armonts

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2018
France
You hit: pipe-24

on google, and in e-bay you have a shop in Germany wind pipes doubled sea foam not very expensive, Italian brand Brebbia "mara".

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Olkofri, The Vaun lining is pressed Meerschaum. I would think twice about purchasing a full pressed Meerschaum pipe but I don't think there is anything to worry about with a pressed Meer lining in a briar pipe.

Just my 0.02 cents

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
shikano53, thanks for the clarification. Vauen being a reputable maker, I'm thinking that their Meerschaum-lined pipes shouldn't suck.
I agree with going for block Meerschaum when buying a full-Meerschaum pipe; for now though, I'd just go with a lined one, as it has the advantage that you don't have to be extra careful in handling and touching it only by the mouthpiece.

Jul 12, 2011
I see that Brebbia's Sun have Meer lined chambers as well
brebbia-sun-1001-002-009-3319.jpg

brebbia-834-002-009-3320.jpg

Jun 27, 2016
Supposedly, the Brebbia are lined with block meer. I have a Sun 602 lined and it passes the wet finger test. :puffy:

gkr1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2017
San Diego
WoW, awesome posts and images!
I am looking at some IMP and Altinay pipes.
Do meers run hotter bowl when smoking, I like to gauge what shape to get. I love classic billiards and I'm wondering if that is something I should stay away from. Also, should I go for filter 9mm pipes or a non-filtered pipe is alright?
Thanks

Jul 12, 2011
I like the IMP lines myself - I have smoked some of them for weeks on end, no worries or issues with doing that with a Meer, just make sure to clean the bowl , you do not want any cake with a Meer. The bowls IMHO smoke pretty cool due to the nature of the material, I smoke a little faster than I should at times and I have never really overheated a Meer bowl. If you love the Billiard shapes by all means get yourself a Billiard and for the question about filter or no filter - I normally smoke without, others like to smoke with them and most of my filtered pipes come with an adapter, so I can smoke without a filter if I so choose.
This is a mighty fine IMP Meerschaum: Lattice Billiard with Silver (with Case and Churchwarden Stem) and you get best of both worlds a churchwarden and standard stem for it. I really dig the Lattice carve on this one.
imp-churchwarden002-316-3013.jpg

imp-stdstem002-316-3013_1.jpg

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
That's a beautiful pipe, but I can't deal with the pinhole-sized draft diameter of that nylon/teflon tenon and mortise system. I hope you have good luck with it. It should color nicely.

Meerschaum-Pipes-ALTINAY-3-11-500x357.jpg

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
My wife bought me a meer lined Crown pipe. it is a very short smoke and will only hold a coin of flake. But it smokes well.
Id go for a full meer IMO.

gkr1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2017
San Diego
That's a beautiful pipe, but I can't deal with the pinhole-sized draft diameter of that nylon/teflon tenon and mortise system. I hope you have good luck with it. It should color nicely.
Yup, that is/was my concern too, I talked to Said Altınay and he assured me that the its not pin sized but 3mm and that the draw is just right. I wanted a 6mm or 9mm filtered pipe, however, he did not have the size, shape or one with rustication.

Pretty much most Meers that I looked at had the nylon and teflon thing going on.

btwes7

Lifer
Jul 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
I have a Meershaum lined Falcon Bowl that I've never been too crazy about - Will just stick to my Block Meershaum. Wish I knew how to remove the Meershaum from the Falcon Bowl and just smoke it as a Briar.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Agree ... I'd just get an all Meerschaum pipe, not the briar with a lining, and not the Meerschaum composite. If it was me, I'd get a traditional shape with a smooth surface, but you know what you'd like best. I avoid Meerschaum for fear of a whole new bout of PAD.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
gkr1 - that's a nice looking meerschaum. I have a couple meers that have the same tenon/draft hole. I have no issues with the draw in any of them. I think you'll be just fine. I hope you enjoy the pipe!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I open those threaded tenons up with a hand turning of a drill bit, usually 1/8" is sufficient to allow a pipe cleaner to pass more easily, and the air too.

I do the same with a non filter type stem that comes with a MM Cob. (Morgan, for instance)

Status
Not open for further replies.