PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 31, 2012
This video:
http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/the-titanic-100-years-later/6koexds?q=Titanic&rel=MSN&cpkey=589ccd99-b1de-4b65-9a64-eb9dc0ac2694|Titanic|MSN||
Hope it works for you all, it shows among other things, a nice billiard pipe that belonged to First Officer William Murdock. Fast forward to 2:30 for the pipe segment. Need to copy/paste the link its not all staying intact, make sure to include all of it including the 2 bars after MSN.
The styling of the mouthpiece is a bit strange, anybody want to take a guess at who made the pipe?

whimsyt

Might Stick Around
May 22, 2012
Greater Boston
A close up of the pipe can be seen here:
http://news.yahoo.com/photos/titanic-artifacts-linked-to-officer-slideshow/pipe-belonging-william-murdoch-bridge-officer-aboard-titanic-photo-184528812.html
I found a discussion of it on the International Peterson Pipe Club site, and they don't seem to think it's a Pete, but admit that 88 years of being water logged may have changed the pipe just a wee bit.
Interesting to speculate, though. Wish we knew a bit more about F.O. Wm. Murdock and his estate...perhaps he had another pipe that remained on land that might offer us a clue......

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
I enjoyed the video. Thank you for posting it. The history of the ship, its demise, and its rediscovery has interested me for years.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Very interesting indeed...and based on the picture, it looks like the ring on the shank has perhaps a crowned or tooth motif to it ? I have never seen a Pete with that shape ring. Usually they're straight. But then again, I haven't seen too many Pete's predating 1912 ;-)

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
The castling on the end of the band appears to be from corrosion. I only suggest Peterson due to the ship being built in Ireland; Murdoch being Irish, perhaps, etc. Could very well have come from France. May have even been a Dunhill, though it doesn't look like any I have ever seen. It would take someone with a really good knowledge of late 19th and early 20th Century pipes to figure this out this conundrum. For all we know, it could have been made in a shop in some far off port. Unfortunately, only Mr. Murdoch knows that answer.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Very interesting.

Could be any of a number of brands - there were plenty of English brands besides Dunhill!

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
I'm going to watch the video but first: better let that pipe dry, and hope it doesn't have any problem with ghosting! XD

erdnase

Might Stick Around
Aug 16, 2012
Greetings,
I'm really curios what something like that might be worth.
Onward...

bigbehr

Lurker
Apr 10, 2012
Thanks for sharing the link.... If it was smokeable and money was not a object would you smoke it? I cant say I would but what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.