PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

btp79

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2018
Sugar Land, TX
I don't think briar cigar should be allowed anywhere! ( Just kidding. The only time I've ever been questioned about my pipe at a cigar place was in Tallinn (Estonia) called the Oak Lounge. The nice girl working the register just wanted to know what I was smoking (Sterling Flake). She smelled it and said no problem. There were 4 or 5 guys around a small table that invited me to sit with them and I have to say it was one of the best experiences I've ever had at a cigar shop. The guys around the table were all expats from India, Italy, and Finland living in Tallinn. I'm also a reformed heavy cigar smoker so I picked went back the next day and picked up a few boxes of Edmundos and a box of Half Coronas as they didn't carry any pipe tobacco. Oddly enough, there is another cigar establishment more or less across the square that does have some pipes and tobacco, but my experience there was the exact opposite of the Oak Lounge. When I asked if I could look at some pipes, the "gentleman" asked if it was just to look or to buy. I said things I'm not proud of and that's how I ended up at the other place!

trudger

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
Doctorbob is right on. Michigan gave exemptions to the smoking ban only to cigar shops that were operating before 2010. These exemptions are transferable (for sale) like a liquor license. To loose it would be stupid beyond reason over a pipe smoker. I forget the whole world reads this forum ;-)

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Neal, do,they specify why? It’s a point of contention when I see that.

Nah. The owner just doesn’t want pipe smoking. That’s fine, I buy plenty of cigars there anyway. You probably know the place I’m talking about in ATL.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Aside from the places where the law stipulates it must be cigars (which is absurd) I think the obvious reason is because there's much more profit for the establishment in cigar smoking than in pipe smoking.
They're probably afraid pipe smoking might catch on with too large a portion of the clientele.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Greta and I walked into a cigar bar that also served wine- their reason was they were afraid the pipe smoke would ghost their cigars. They got an eye roll, sold one glass of crappy wine to each of us...and we ghosted them- never to set foot in the place again.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Greta and I walked into a cigar bar that also served wine- their reason was they were afraid the pipe smoke would ghost their cigars. They got an eye roll, sold one glass of crappy wine to each of us...and we ghosted them- never to set foot in the place again.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
@brian64
Yeah that is indeed a factor. I’ve talked with the owner at length about this topic and I’m fascinated by the business models of tobacco in general and lounges specifically. Their margins are razor thin. Top line revenue is driven almost entirely by cigar sales. Accessories are a drag. So they focus mainly on the volume of sticks and pipe smokers smokers don’t spend much money.
But there is another lounge in the rural suburbs where I work that does allow both pipes and cigars and I go there sometimes. Jason Vorhees and I have smoked pipes there together. I always buy a cigar each visit, even if I’m smoking my pipe.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I’m just saying if they sell cigars and pipe tobacco they’re usually accepting. I do hate to feel I’m intruding on cigars lounges, so I wont go there.

bouwser

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2018
Very interesting conversation. I think the safe thing to do is continue to go to my B&M lounge than risk pissing someone off at a cigar lounge. I'm just happy that I do have a place to go when need be. Like I said previously, I don't actually need the drink to go with my pipe, but it is pleasant sometimes and is rare in this cold weather. Once it warms up, I'll be singing the praises of having a deck that looks off into the woods.

redone

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2018
Well, I thought they allowed it because they sell the stuff there. Never seen anyone smoking a pipe. I’m probably mistaken about it.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
In Michigan the only tobacco product that can be smoked in a cigar bar are cigars. I suspect that was done so that cigarette smokers wouldn’t flock to them after the smoking ban for bars and restaurants went into effect. Pipe smoking is allowed in “tobacco specialty shops,” so that’s up to the individual B&M.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
The places I've been in that don't allow pipes say it is because the cigar smokers complain about the smell of pipe smoke. I find that a little hard to believe.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
If you walked in and bought a cigar, and then sat down with your pipe, I'm pretty sure there would be less of an issue. Dust off the wallet and buy a stick or two from the shop owner. It's a quid pro quo.

ron123

Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
If you walked in and bought a cigar, and then sat down with your pipe, I'm pretty sure there would be less of an issue.
That's how I see it. Another way to look at it is, would you walk into a restaurant with a brown bag lunch, and expect to be able to eat it there?

trudger

Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
Thanks Kizzose, Smokey’s isn’t a bar so that makes sense. I do spend my money there, guess that’s why they put up with me. I always thought it was my witty personality.

alsatmem

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2019
Here in lovely Memphis TN, 1.2 million people and 0 pipe shops. One small Tinder Box in a strip mall that has a few pipe tobaccos in jars, couple of tins in the humidor, but is really all about cigars. They allow cigar and pipe smoking. But the small “smoking bar” is quite disgusting in smell. Some were eating Little Ceasar’s pizza (next to them in the strip mall) and I could not even smell it, my clothes reeked for hours. I can’t imagine anyone could tell what was in their pipe! So, besides already being antisocial, I resign to solitary garage smoking, space heater with a fake “flame” light, and all is right in my world! The missus serves real drinks too, which always helps!

alsatmem

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2019
We do actually have more “glass pipe” stores than churches or Walgreens. And weed isn’t even legal yet. Other than the DA publicly announcing that they will not prosecute any weed possession less than 2oz!

Status
Not open for further replies.