PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I just sent off for some tobacco, MM cob replacement stems, and Brebbia stem polish. I chose Brebbie because

it comes in a modest quantity for a good price ($4.80), and I only have several pipes that really need the treatment.

They aren't gross, but just need some brightening up -- which is good after thirty years or more for those pipes.

Has anyone used Brebbie, and how did it work? I think it's a mild abrasive that works without a buffer or electric

polisher. I will try it and give a report, but has anyone else tried it?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Brebbia works great. Won't work miracles. But combined with regular wipes of Obsidian Oil, it's really all you need to keep your stems in good shape.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
The Brebbia works well, as does the Dunhill. But I suspect that an unscented toothpaste, if there is such a thing, would work as well. And, as pitchfork pointed out, use in combination with Obsidian Oil.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I've used Brebbia stem polish for years. As well as Dunhills'. Good stuff. But a lot of elbow grease required for upkeep of the vulcanite shine. I'm in the acrylic / Lucite camp now. Or at least moving in that direction, bit by bit. Pun intended.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I don't know what type of abasive, if any, is used in the Brebbia polish. Most toothpastes use diatomaceous earth, DE, which is fairly abrasive. Some use calcium carbonate which is less so. Products like Barkeepr's Helper use talc, which is the least abrasive mineral. So read labels and judge your needs accordingly. 33 years in the industrial mineral business is finally paying off.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've had some luck just using a slightly stiff cotton fabric, like a bandana before it has been softened by

multiple washings. The sizing that gives it stiffness will brighten an old vulcanite stem that isn't too

hazy. But I decided to go the next step with the Brebbia polish, to see if I can brighten them some more.

The pipes look well-worn, but not gross or unappetizing. At some point, I might let a pipe repairman

work his magic, but not yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.