PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

donatello

Lurker
Oct 28, 2013
missouri
Hello I was wondering if some of you could help me with the breath smoking technique, it seems like every time I breathe into the pipe it makes it go out and also it seems I'm getting it hotter by doing it, this seems like an awesome way to smoke but I am not getting it! Thanks

I know GLP writes about blowing back into the pipe, and several other of our other members have mentioned this also. But, I don't seal my lips around the pipe stem. So, I take in a small amount of outside air when I am on the intake and then it just sort of rolls out in wisps, instead of being pushed back up the stem. Does that make sense? I tried and tried and could not get the full GLP technique to work for me. I just had to sort of modify it for myself. I hope this helps.

donatello

Lurker
Oct 28, 2013
missouri
Yes that makes sense that is really what I have been trying to do, I really want to figure this out, I figure that the pack and draw must be fairly loose or open to get this to work properly? Is the smoke coming out of your mouth very thin and light?

Yep, barely distinguishable. But, I cheat and will puff once or twice occasionally. Just to get a flavor boost. I notice that if my mind is off of it, I don't puff, but the moment that I realize the pipe or I get a really great flavor, I seem to just puff by instinct.
In the beginning it was hard not to think about it. Kind of like learning to drive a stick shift. You really have to focus on gas, clutch, shift... but, then after a while you don't even realize what you're doing.

donatello

Lurker
Oct 28, 2013
missouri
Do you mostly just put the pipe in your mouth and just try to breathe normally out of your nose and mouth whatever is your normal breathing pattern?

For the most part, yes. I know that some guys have a hard time just breathing through their nose, but that is my most natural way to breath, and my throat seems to expand and contract to my breathing through my nose cadence and keep the smoke rolling, but just slightly.
This whole technique depends on eventually just forgetting about the pipe. It helps to do something that gets your mind off of smoking, like reading a book, carving, driving, mowing the lawn, whatever you like to do. I do this mostly as I work at my work bench. I just have to check occasionally to make sure it is still lit, lol.
Also, I notice that after doing this a while, that the back of my throat fills with smoke. So, if someone walks up to me and asks me a question, smoke will roll out of my throat as I talk, making my girlfriend accuse me of inhaling. Now, I make sure I blow it out and take a breath before I talk to her, ha ha.

donatello

Lurker
Oct 28, 2013
missouri
I think I get the main idea I am going to start practicing this, breathing through my nose is my natural way of breathing also, its the forgetting about it that will be the problem

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I can get the breath sipping to work, but I quickly fall into my old puffing habits; so I'm no expert.

I think a full bent pipe or Oom Paul -- something you can clench continuously -- would help.

oldredbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2012
I still haven't mastered it, but cosmic, you just explained better than I've ever read before. Thank you sir.

CherokeeBilly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2014
Granbury, TX
I lightly breath back into the pipe and for me it keeps it lit better than when I don't do it. I do the same as was previously mentioned, don't seal off the bit, take in a breath and lightly exhale around and into the bit, you will see a light puff of smoke clear out of the top of the bowl. It keeps the smoke fresh as well.

Mar 1, 2014
I usually puff through the pipe, lips sealed, breathing normally through my nose the whole time. Occasionally I'll push some smoke out my mouth so I can smell it better.

The biggest problem is moisture, which is probably why I've never smoked a bowl all the way to the bottom.

To draw in smoke you basically just flatten your tongue on the bottom of your mouth, then raise it to fill the cavity again and expel the smoke. Ideally just use the front, if I draw too deeply into my mount it irritates the tissue in the back.

Mar 1, 2014
I guess I should put the caveat "can" smoke a pipe with just my tongue. I hadn't had a bowl in about a week and smoking another today I'm definitely moving more than just the tongue for normal use. It is an interesting experiment in controlling your pace and seeing how little you can move your mouth to actually draw smoke.

brownpeter335

Lurker
Sep 11, 2014
Breath smoking requires a relaxed setting, if possible inactive and a very slow and calm breathing pattern. The whole process of smoking seems as natural, regular and effortless as breathing.

Status
Not open for further replies.