PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
Anyone here want to share some of their breakthrough Blends? Ones that really hit the nail on the head? I've been tinkering with dozens of blends and variations with different percentages and recently there have been a couple that stand out.

- Black stoved Va/per:
A plug of black stoved red virginia(60%) and perique(40%). Topped with tonka beans soaked in bourbon.

Waves of perique spice set off the bowl and slowly mellow out while the dark, fruity Virginia's increase in intensity as the bowl burns down. As the perique dies down the tonka bourbon adds a nice creamyness to the virginias as well as cinnamon and vanilla notes. Burns nice and cool with lots of natural sweetness.

- va/ky/lat:
Half black stoved Virginia and half stoved Kentucky that was cased with maple syrup and bourbon prior to stoving. Seasoned with just 10% latakia to add richness and creamyness, but not enough to make it "smoky" or drown the other tobaccos. Everything is equal and can really taste all the tobaccos throughout the bowl. Pressed into a crumble cake, also smokes nice and cool. Rich and full but doesn't wear out the taste buds like a full lat mixture.

I like strong tobaccos and stoved tobaccos, those dark rich flavours that smoke cool. The stoving of the Kentucky tames the chocolate and floral notes and looses some complexity, but really makes it so smooth and takes off any harsh edges, so it's a trade-off that's worth it in my opinion.

I get whole leaves and do the stoving in an all metal container in my oven, putting tobacco into heavy case before stoving at 200°c for about 16 hours. I recently got a noodle press off Amazon for the plugs and it works great.

So anyone want to share some of their breakthrough Blends?

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
I don't know about breakthrough but last week I mixed equal parts Smyrna and Latakia. To me the total was greater than the sum of the parts (isn't that how the saying goes?)

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I’ve been playing around with some different leaf. I’d like to make some crumble cakes and plugs. I haven’t nailed down anything solid yet though. I did have a bowl the other night where I mixed Sutliff 515 RC-1 (straight red), C&D Izmir, and some Bayou Night. It had a nice sweet/sour thing going on, with a nice hit of Perique, but I’d have preferred a little more Latakia.

Reactions: BROBS and F4RM3R

F4RM3R

Nov 28, 2019
Canada
I’ve been playing around with some different leaf. I’d like to make some crumble cakes and plugs. I haven’t nailed down anything solid yet though. I did have a bowl the other night where I mixed Sutliff 515 RC-1 (straight red), C&D Izmir, and some Bayou Night. It had a nice sweet/sour thing going on, with a nice hit of Perique, but I’d have preferred a little more Latakia.
Crumble cakes and plugs are easy. Just get a couple c clamps and 2x4s for a simple press. I've even used a cement block with decent results. Or one side of a heavy sitting bench resting on some boards lol. Anything works, get creative! The noodle press is easy though and worth the small price.

That blend sounds nice, I like having straight Latakia on hand to mess with, but I've been going a little lighter on the lat lately, using continental amounts in the 10-15% range to add some richness. I've played lots with the lat bombs, I have a nice full English with black Virginia, perique and Kentucky that I really like:
30% latakia
10% Kentucky
15% perique
25% black stoved Virginia
20% oriental(basma in my case)

You can bump the lat to 40% and take it off the Virginia and oriental if you please. It's my favourite full English I've come up with. I've also played with lat blends without Virginia's too, using Kentucky instead and adding oriental and perique.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

F4RM3R

Nov 28, 2019
Canada
Perique changed my life. That is all.
Haha true that. Although so did latakia, and I guess Kentucky to a certain extent too....but perique is something magical, which adds another dimension to blends. Might try an make some with my homegrown this year. I know it won't compare to the St James perique I have, but it will be interesting to see the results.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

Fong

Lurker
May 14, 2020
Singapore
Anyone has any recommendations to mix fvf? I have quite a fair bit of fvf and will like to experiment with it. Just no Latakia. Any tested projects ? What to mix for something nice and burns easier