Breaking in ? (Another newbie frustration)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
You have received a lot of good advice here. I always smoke filterless pipes and uncoated bowls. I fill the bowl and smoke it down to the dottle. Always run a pipe cleaner through after every smoke and allow the pipe to rest. Rotating pipes is best. Rotate blends, too. That will keep your taste buds alive and you are less likely to tire of a blend if you rotate it with other favorites. Smoke slowly. Relighting is better than smoking too hot. If the bowl is uncomfortable to hold, you are smoking it too hot (puffing too much or too hard). Take care to properly pack your pipe. Not too loose and not too tight.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Once again,thanks for all the advice.
Both Sav's did better today (or I did better with them at least ;-) ) just dried the tobacco a lot more than I usually do.
All that being said, I still find them to be more stubborn breaking in than the Pete's, BC or FeRo I have. Or even hat mystery "new Bond" i picked up. All with coating. I know it's me, but i seem to find a common thread with them. So for me, the coating seems to have its advantages during break-in. But I still do love em !

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
I had a very hard time in the beginning until I got a natural feel for packing bowls. Most of my problems were related to incorrectly packing the tobacco. Filters were all abandoned once I figured out they were largely useless. You may find that lighting your tobacco with large kitchen matches to be very helpful. Matches burn hottern than butane and usually make ligting a little easier. I use a butane lighter now that I am a little more skilled but even now matches make lighting a pipe easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.