PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
@JSPiper71 as others have mentioned, smoke whatever you like it doesn’t really matter, other than a blend that will Ghost a pipe, leaving it’s flavors behind, so you don’t really want to smoke the same blends over and over that will Ghost it, unless these are all you’re going to smoke in the pipe.

Also, the most important thing in an uncoated chamber is to smoke it slowly, only getting the pipe slightly warm, until, you start to get an even build of some carbon on the chamber walls to protect it from getting small cracks in the chamber. This is only a concern on a high priced pipe you want to care for.

The carbon build up is not simply turning the chamber gray colored, but in time it will develop a tacky/sticky resin of carbon, of course it’s dry to the touch when you let the pipe rest for a day or two.

Jose Rubio is a very respected carver in Spain, he is of the school of thought, a 1mm thickness build up on the chamber walls in uncoated chambers.

Depending on how often the pipe is smoked it can take a month or two to get an even carbon build in the chamber.

I have a Radice Rind Straight pipe, that I have been very gentle with, and after 3-4 months, it’s just starting to get an even build across the entire chamber.

Have fun! :)

Last edited:

JohnnyBeach

Might Stick Around
May 21, 2024
I smoked my straight-stem pipe today for maybe the 8th time, filling it to the top with Captain Black. I got 55 minutes out of it before dumping and finding just a small amount of blackish tobacco. Great for me. I have been getting 25 minutes from the bent-stem pipe.
I got some tongue burn but kept going slow. The pipe was quite hot to hold, which concerns me, but I saw no charring.
I am sure the neighbors at the park where I stop to smoke are wondering who the old coot is.