PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
I save fine ash from my favorite blend. With a new pipe, I rub a light layer of honey in the bowl, add the fine ash, shake around, and dump out the excess ash. Then I fire up. Unsmoked tobacco doesn't stick to the honey this way, and the cake builds nice and evenly.

On Petersons I just go over the bowl coating. Anything else I scrub out with water and plastic scrub cloth. I'm hesitant to use sandpaper as I've heard makers talk about how taking just a little more wood off can expose a flaw/soft spot.

Get a nice even cake this way, which I sometimes inadvertently damage by using my cheap Buttner-style reamer instead of waiting and digging out my senior reamer. The Buttner-style often works fine for small adjustments, but sometimes takes out chunks, I think when the cake is too thick or really hard.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Maybe it will change, but (for me) spending good money on a new pipe and sanding or applying honey is conterintuitive. This is why I contacted the dealer. Plus, I can imagine coming in one day and finding ants inside the bowl.

Reactions: kurtbob

Etipton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 24, 2021
Tennessee
In practice I just smoke it. I want to try the honey coating just to see what it is all about.
I’ve done the honey it’s very pleasant until it burns off then you just have a very sticky bowl but it goes away on it’s own after a few bowls.

C

carolinasmokes

Had a question, has anyone here ever burned a hole or cracked a new pipe because it wasn’t broken in properly?

Had a question, has anyone here ever burned a hole or cracked a new pipe because it wasn’t broken in properly?
In my early years of pipe smoking I have charred a couple of natural bowl pipes from smoking too hot, but I have never burned a hole or cracked a pipe bowl smoking. I understand why pipe makers and manufacturers coat bowls now, it can definitely help minimize the damage a new smoker can inflict on his pipe as he learns his way.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Briar is a natural material, and there can always be flaws in it, but “breaking it in” isn’t going to fix it. If it has a soft spot or something, it was a turd to begin with. Unfortunately it can be impossible for a manufacturer to see these internal flaws, so rarely a bad one makes it to market.
Burn-throughs and cracks in a properly smoked briar pipe are very rare. When they happen it’s always because of poor construction or inherent flaws in the briar itself.
If a dense briar pipe really needs all of those special coatings or kid glove treatment, how in the world does a poor little cob survive?
I’ve carved several pipes, no coatings or special break-in procedures. They all smoke fine, no charring, no burn through, no cracks. Same can be said for factory pipes I own that weren’t “broken in” and don’t have a coating. As long as you know how to smoke it properly, it’s really much ado about nothing. Just load up a bowl and enjoy your pipe.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Briar is a natural material, and there can always be flaws in it, but “breaking it in” isn’t going to fix it. If it has a soft spot or something, it was a turd to begin with. Unfortunately it can be impossible for a manufacturer to see these internal flaws, so rarely a bad one makes it to market.
Burn-throughs and cracks in a properly smoked briar pipe are very rare. When they happen it’s always because of poor construction or inherent flaws in the briar itself.
If a dense briar pipe really needs all of those special coatings or kid glove treatment, how in the world does a poor little cob survive?
I’ve carved several pipes, no coatings or special break-in procedures. They all smoke fine, no charring, no burn through, no cracks. Same can be said for factory pipes I own that weren’t “broken in” and don’t have a coating. As long as you know how to smoke it properly, it’s really much ado about nothing. Just load up a bowl and enjoy your pipe.
I am not in a place to explain, but Peterson is a popular if not highly recommended and sought after pipe. They choose to coat their pipes. Enough said for me.

Leo

Might Stick Around
Jun 12, 2020
Seoul, South Korea
husky-h.tistory.com
I am old school and I am not ashamed.
I have always found my method especially effective for how I like to break in a new/estate pipe.
First: I coat the bowl with a very lite coating of honey.
Second: I find a particular piece of music that helps me slow down.
I fill my new acquisition with my favorite Cavendish.
Third: false light light tamping moderate exhale(to keep it lit)
Forth: Tamp town excess tobacco.
Fifth : Relight (true light)
Fifth: Enjoy
Everyone has their own ritual/method.

This is mine.

Anyone else?
I apply the Breaking in procedure for pipes that doesn't have coated chamber. (Most of the pipe I have)
Peterson pipes usually coat something on the Chamber (Black, I think it's carbon coat), So Without Breaking in,
I Smoke them.

1. Fill 30% of the chamber with the Tobacco and Smoke.
Usually, Straight Virginia or light VaPer, anything there is no ghosting left.

2. After each smoking, block the chamber with your palm and shake the pipe to coat the chamber with ash. I don't use the pipe cleaner on this procedure.
and after that, The excess ash goes to the trash can.

I Repeat this THREE TIMES.

3. If carbon cake is made on the bottom of the chamber,
Smoke it as it is, and if not, repeat the above process two or three times more.

That's what I'm doing it.

What I think important is carbon cake is made at the bottom of the chamber.
That's what I'm doing it.
In my case, Sometimes I don't burn Tobacco of the Bottom.
so I put carbon cake on the Bottom from the Breaking in.

Reactions: carolinasmokes

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I've had an issue with only one of my 7 mortas - a new commissioned light coloured one. I noticed a couple of burn marks after the first few bowls. I costed the Nielsen with pipe mud and it is now fine.
I assume that light coloured morta is younger and less dense than black, hence more likely to have "soft" spots.

I've not had many problems with my briars - both new and estates. Again this is an assumption - estates in good condition, having survived years of use, are already (well) broken-in.
The majority of my pipes are estates, with many centurions amongst them. I have had only one disaster - a large crack all along the shank on my first smoke with it. ? it's
just the luck of the draw - I did not smoke it any differently than I do with the rest of my pipes.

YoungButter

Might Stick Around
Jun 19, 2021
Solani Aged Burley Flake or Wessex Slices. It always burns even and cool when handled properly and leaves a nice cake.

Just now, I am about to smoke a second bowl of ABF out of a new Castello+Smokingpipes apple.

JohnnyBeach

Lurker
May 21, 2024
I've been busted. My wife found me smoking a favorite old L.J.Peretti bulldog pipe on the back steps today and have forbidden me to smoke ever again. I think they have a phrase for this situation. I was smoking Mac Baron's vanilla cream.

Uguccione

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2024
Italy
I understand why pipe makers and manufacturers coat bowls now, it can definitely help minimize the damage a new smoker can inflict on his pipe as he learns his way.
The real reason? The inside of the bowl has defects (just like it happens outside) or a few drops of paint have fallen into it.
In short, it is exclusively for an aesthetic reason and is the reason why you see pipes - of the same brand - that have a pre-carbonized bowl and others that are natural (see Savinelli, Mastro de Paja, Brebbia, etc...).
Then obviously, the producers invented the story of burn prevention. But it is - precisely - a little story.

Status
Not open for further replies.